Chapter 22 - Reunited

"Lena, this is so exciting!" Daphne squealed from her seat beside me while I remained frozen, staring at Elijah.

Sure, it was exciting, but it was also terrifying. What does a girl who hasn't seen her parents in seventeen years say to them? Hell, I barely remember them. Plus, who knows what kind of psychological state they'll be in. What if they don't even remember me?

An array of thoughts suddenly filled my mind. Should I go change clothes? Did I look nice enough? Did it matter?

As if Elijah could sense my internal distress, he turned his attention towards me, "Why don't we finish breakfast, and then we can take a walk before they arrive?"

I smiled at my mate, instantly feeling calmed by his words and suggestion. He knew just what to say. A walk would be perfect.

I ate a few more bites, as my appetite had suddenly disappeared, and patiently waited for Elijah to scarf down his overflowing dinner plate. Once my mate's belly seemed to be satisfied, he looked over at me with a goofy grin and a nod, indicating that he was now ready to proceed with our evening walk.

Elijah stood from his chair before holding out his hand to me. I quickly grabbed it and reveled in the immediate warmth and comfort that my mate's touch provided. There was no better cure for anxiety than one's mate.

I followed Elijah, clutching his large hand as he led me outside and into the cold, arctic air of Polar Moon. It was comforting, being back in my home environment. Being in Dark Root was like reliving a nightmare, even though I couldn't truly remember all of my past.

We walked out front to a gathering area and knocked snow off of one of the benches before sitting down. Elijah wrapped one of his strong arms around my waist and pulled me close to his side, knowing just what I needed in this moment. The moment right before I was to be reunited with my parents.

"What are you thinking about?" he finally asked.

I shot him an annoyed glare, "Really? I think you know exactly what I'm thinking about."

Elijah chuckled and rubbed my arm, providing me with some warmth out in this freezing air, "I meant specifically. What's worrying you about it?"

I sighed and shook my head, "I don't know."

Elijah growled at me, lowly, but playfully, "Don't you dare lie to me, little mate."

I couldn't help but chuckle at Elijah's words. He hadn't used that name for me in a long time.

"I just don't know what to expect, and I hate not being prepared," I answered.

"They're your parents Lena, and although my memories of them are faint and from long ago, they were good people. Even if they're not in the best condition, I know they'll be thrilled to see you."

I smiled before quickly leaning in and pressing my lips to Elijah's. My hands immediately went to his hair, pulling him closer to me. I wanted nothing more than to spend some alone time with my mate, but I knew it'd have to wait, for now.

Elijah instantly responded, pulling my body even closer to his and deepening our kiss. His tongue quickly slipped in my mouth, fighting for dominance over mine, and I allowed him to win.

Things escalated quickly, becoming incredibly heated in the cold environment surrounding us. It'd been too long since we'd been able to be intimate with one another, and the sound of tires on gravel indicated that we would have to wait, once again.

Pulling from each other's grasps, we looked up and to our right to see a black car pulling into Polar Moon territory. I knew it had to be Ryder with my parents. As the car approached, my thoughts were confirmed. A driver I didn't recognize sat behind the steering wheel and Ryder sat beside him in the passenger seat. I assumed my parents would be in the back.