― viii. the curious case of snuffles

𝓣𝐡𝐞 𝓒𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝓒𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝓢𝐧𝐮𝐟𝐟𝐥𝐞𝐬

Before Harry knew it, January had passed and they were into February. With the second task of the Triwizard Tournament fast approaching. On the eve of the task, his nerves rung high and he was only playing with the scrambled eggs on his plate at breakfast when a brown barn owl arrived with a letter. Pulling the parchment off its leg, he unrolled it and read the shortest letter Sirius had ever written to him:

« Send date of next Hogsmeade weekend by return owl. »

Edelyn, who was seated across from him, looked up from her blueberry muffin. "What's that?" she asked, brushing crumbs off her fingers.

Harry stiffened. His eyes flickered to Ron and Hermione. "N-nothing," he stammered. 

Edelyn raised her eyebrows. "You're a terrible liar, H—" She cut herself short when she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around to see Cedric looking worse for wear. 

"Hey, Lynnie. Can — can I talk to you for a sec?"

Edelyn frowned. "Yeah, of course." She dropped her half-eaten muffin onto her plate and swung her legs over the bench. Rising to her feet, she placed a hand on Cedric's arm and asked, "Something wrong? You look pale..."

"Tomorrow's task..." Cedric muttered, leading Edelyn towards an empty area of the Hufflepuff table. He swallowed thickly and whispered very quietly, "I'm dead meat, Lynnie. I haven't a clue what to do..."

"Hmm...sounds like someone's been distracted..." Edelyn teased, batting her lashes toward the Ravenclaws. 

Meanwhile, Hermione leaned over to Harry. "Weekend after next. Here, take my quill and send this back straight away."

Harry nodded, scribbled the dates down on the back of Sirius' letter, tied it onto the brown owl's leg, and watched it take flight again.

"What's he want to know about the next Hogsmeade weekend for?" Ron asked.

"Dunno," said Harry distractedly as he glanced over to where Edelyn was speaking to Cedric.

"Keeping this away from Lyn is getting to be quite ridiculous," Hermione huffed. "She's almost caught us twice speaking into the fire, and that's the second time a letter's come for you while she's around. She's not stupid. She's going to figure that we're hiding something soon enough."

"Yeah, but what can we do?" said Ron, biting unmannerly into a strip of bacon. "He doesn't want her to know."

Later that evening, Harry found himself feeling rather hopeless as he sat with Ron and Hermione in the library, flipping through pages and pages of spells, looking in vain for something that could help him with the upcoming task.