The Pawn | Chapter Four [Syngenesophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Four]

-----------------------------------------------------

Syngenesophobia – Fear of relatives

-----------------------------------------------------

Two weeks passed and I was still stuck in my freaking prison of a room. The accommodations were nice and I was given any and everything I wanted, except, of course, the option of leaving the room. They, meaning Jay, would take me to Faux's office and back to my room. That was it. Every time I asked he offered up the blindfold, but I quickly refused. Nothing could make me put a blindfold on. Not even all the Nutella in the world.

Two weeks of boredom had given me plenty of time to come up with a way to get out of my room, yet...I had nothing. It was pathetic really, but I just couldn't figure out how to get an inch of freedom. On the plus side, Dayna and Jaz visited often. At first, against Jay's wishes, but soon enough he must have realized I had nothing better to do and it wasn't like I was going to do anything to them anyways. Jaz could kick my ass anytime she damn well pleased. Dayna was less threatening than Jaz, but I knew Kyle would kick my ass for her.

Having girls around—having people around—was weird to me. I had learned to grow up on my own since Lisa and I had always been on the move. Sure, when I was younger I had friends in elementary school, but after my father's death I didn't attend school. Lisa moved us around too much to settle in anywhere. Plus, she had been paranoid that if we registered at school, someone would find us and take us away. So, I spent most of my time at the library, trying to teach myself as much as possible. I wanted to be free of Lisa as soon as I could and I figured the only way to make that happen would be to educate myself.

As a result of moving around so much, I never had the opportunity to make any real friends, nor did I know how to relax and just have girl time. I felt like I needed to constantly be doing something, so just sitting around and talking with Jaz and Dayna was really hard for me at first.

"You really need to relax, love," Jaz told me for the umpteenth time. "We're not going to critique you on how well you paint your nails. Bloody hell, look at how horrid Dayna is. Just chill and chat with us."

I hid a laugh when Dayna scowled at Jaz and scrunched up my nose. "Talk about what?"

"Hell if I know, it doesn't really matter, anything really will do. Erm...who's your favorite actor?"

"Um..." I blushed as I tried to think of any actor that I had heard of but it had been years since I had seen a movie, let alone read a gossip magazine. "Tim Cruise?" I offered weakly.

Jaz gave me an odd look and stopped painting her nails. "Don't you mean Tom Cruise?"

"Er yah," I blushed. "The guy in the Impossible Mission movies or whatever," I added with a casual wave of my hand.

"Mission: Impossible?" Dayna asked slowly, sneaking a look at Jaz.

"Whatever they're called, it doesn't really matter," I said defensively. "Look, it's been a while since I've watched a movie or watched TV. I hardly listen to the radio and I never read the gossip columns. The only thing I've had access to is whatever is offered in the library. Since I don't have any place to play DVDs or VHS I stick with books and reading. Alright?"

"Okay, mate, no need to get so defensive. We aren't going to crucify you because you don't watch movies. We might tie you to a chair and force you to a watch a bunch of them with us, but nothing too horrid," Jaz grinned at me.