Chapter four - Coffee stains

My throat ceases its air flow. My brother's stone cold eyes still stare at me as he forces himself into the lift, clicking the button for the fourth floor.

"Well, aren't you going to say hello, brother dear?" He raises a dark brow, tilting his head to the side. His Adam's apple bobs up, the maroon necktie looking slightly too tight around his thick neck. Subconsciously, I swallow hard rubbing a hand over my collar bone.

"Hello, Chet." I say, averting my eyes.

"That's more like it, Carrot-cake." The corners of his lip turn up into a smirk, and my eye twitches at the nickname. He's called me that since I was seven. A chubby child with auburn hair and Asthma... according to him the nickname kind of fit.

The doors to the lift close and Chet makes his way to stand next to me; his expensive smelling cologne tickles my nose. I grimace. He tugs at the sleeves of his suit, dusting himself down.

"How's it going with the homeless thing?"

'Homeless thing?' That's him trying to make conversation about my career, about my life?

"It's fine, though I'd much rather be at the shelter than here if you're that concerned." I'd much rather be with Harry. Making sure that he is all right, that he knows I didn't want to leave him alone.

Chet smirks, his lips curling up. "So, Dad got you here to fix the coffee machine then? That dump mustn't be that important if you left."

"That dump is the most important thing in my life. The only reason I'm here is because Dad hasn't heard of the coffee shop over the road. You know what he would do to me if I disobeyed his orders, Chet."

"Breathe, Sammy." He shifts, placing his hands in his pockets. "Damn, take a breath will you? Take a puff of your inhaler if you have to." His ice blues have a flicker of amusement in them.

My forehead creases, and my chest feels a little tight. I breathe in slowly through my nose. I turn slightly and take a small puff of the inhaler. I hear Chet chuckle.

'Fourth floor, doors opening.'

Chet pushes me forward. "Ladies first, Samantha."

Scowling at him, I shrug his hand off of me. "I thought it was age before beauty, Chet," I say, pushing him and his smirk falls. He's a little sensitive about his age, almost thirty and the man can't take an old joke.

Reluctantly, Chet steps out before me and the doors roll closed behind us.

"I'll see you later, Chet..." I mutter starting to my way down the hall, hoisting my bag back over my shoulder.

"Yeah. Oh, Sammy?"

Closing my eyes and sighing, "yeah?" I ask.

"Just thought you'd like to know that Sarah is pregnant again..." My grip tightens around my bag strap, the leather squeaking under my fingers.

"R-really?"

"Yeah, a boy this time. Little Chet junior."

I hold back from choking. That is who Sarah left me for. My own brother, and to think that she wanted me to be more like him. His daughter Sadie, will be almost two now. I've never even met her. Mainly because Sarah is trying to avoid me at all costs, and Chet isn't exactly the nicest guy on the planet. My niece. It's actually strange to think that Chet has actually settled down to have a family, he more or less used to just be a one night stand kind of guy.

I grimace, keeping my mouth shut from making a sarcastic comment. Ignoring him instead, I continue down the hall.