hands off!

y/n went to school on a soft, snowy morning in a cheerful mood. today at anne's house there would be a christmas party, and she was invited!

there would be quite a few of her classmates in attendance: diana barry, ruby gillis, cole mackenzie, charlie sloane, moody spurgeon and gilbert blythe. that came as a surprise to all the others who would be going, as anne and gilbert have had a rivalry ever since they met, but all anne said in regards to his invitation was, "we're friends now, we've made up."

"it's going to be so much fun! we'll have all sorts of sweets, and play fun games!" diana told y/n in a excited whisper. y/n smiled and propped her head up in her hand.

"it'll be a nice opportunity to hang out with gilbert," she added. they had been best friends for as long as she could remember; and she also remembered she's had a crush on him for forever, and still did.

but she never told him. she told diana and anne, but no one else. and she intended to keep it that way.

diana smiled and shook her head as mr. philips entered the room, immediately ceasing all conversations among friends and buzzes of chatter.

and with that, y/n was left to her thoughts; which just so happened to be filled with a generous amount of gilbert blythe.

***

after school had ended, y/n was the first to reach the coat room and grab her things, in a hurry to get home and get ready for the party.

"hey."

y/n turned around and saw a smiling (and also very cute) gilbert looking at her.

"hey there," she replied breathlessly.

"you're going to anne's party, right?" he asked. y/n nodded and smiled as she put on her hat and picked up her basket.

"then i'll see you there," he said with a smile.

and then he was out the door, out of sight.

***

y/n was finally ready to go to the party, and her stomach was churning. she was nervous. for what, she didn't know, but she felt like it had something to do with gilbert.

but it didn't matter. to be fair, when was she not nervous around him?

before she knew it, she was at anne's house, at her front door. she watched the slight white vapor submerge from her mouth as she breathed in and out for a moment before raising a fist to the door to knock.