Chapter 23: Break Rules, Not Hearts

Katherine pulled away from the blonde slowly.

"Anyway, what are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be in the Slytherin Common Room celebrating your victory?"

"Maybe," he shrugged, looking down at her with a soft smile.

"So... Why aren't you, then?"

Draco looked down, and after a second of hesitation, he took one of her hands in his ones, caressing it gently.

"I wanted to be with you."

Kat felt the corners of her lips turn upwards.

"Oh... But you can be with me anytime, we're roommates, you know. It's not every day that you can celebrate your victory against Gryffindor, though."

"Honestly, I don't really care about that," he glanced back up at her.

The Hufflepuff's eyebrows shot up in surprise. She thought he would be more excited or even happier about the outcome of the match.

"Katherine Bright," Draco stared into her dark eyes. "Would you go on a date with me?"

Katherine's eyes widened at his words, even her mouth fell open.

"A date?" She asked back.

"Yes," Draco nodded.

"Uh... Well..."

"I know this might sound weird, considering the fact that we're supposed to get married in the near future, but I never really asked you out in a formal way before, therefore we never had a real date and I intend on changing that if you don't mind."

Still speechless, Katherine bit down on her lower lip nervously.

"Please?"

After taking a big breath, she nodded.

"Yes, I would like to go on a date with you."

Feeling relieved, the Slytherin broke out in a grin.

"Great. Shall we go, then?"

"Wait, do you mean right now?"

"Sure, why not?"

"I mean... Where could we go? We can't possibly stay out here at night, and –"

"Why not?" The Slytherin gave her a mischievous grin.

"Because... We're not... Allowed?"

"And who says that?"

"That's the rule."

"Oh, my sweet little Katherine," Draco took a step closer to her. "The only rule is that rules must be broken."

"That's not –"

"Shh!" He put his index finger in front of her mouth. "No excuses, we're going on a date right now and that's final."

"But –"

"Listen," he straightened his back. "If the Ministry can decide that we have to marry a random person and have a child with them, I think we're allowed to have some fun, aren't we?"

"Well, when you put it like that..."

"That's the spirit!" Draco smiled at her excitedly. "Let's go, then."

"But where?" Katherine smiled back softly, curious about what he was planning.

Instead of giving her an answer, he took her hand and started walking.

The Hufflepuff always felt quite cautious in the dark, but somehow the fact that Draco was there, holding her hand made her feel at ease.

The couple started heading towards the Black Lake. When they arrived there, they sat down under a tree near the water.