(29) -Truths-

Without saying a word, Margo started to run off in the direction of the forest. Lucy nodded at Abby to follow behind her, and he, Sebbi and Lain brought up the rear. By the time they had made it back to the outskirts of town, it had started to rain.

Cool droplets streaked down cheeks and fur alike. Sebbi and Lucy had turned back into their hulking Aelurian forms once they'd passed through the barrier. Margo's whiskers had reappeared. And for some reason, Lain had managed to get through the barrier without being turned into a cat matchstick.

Margo didn't ask him how that was, the answer seemed fairly straightforward - he'd blood bonded with someone of noble birth, but who remained a mystery. Abby thought it might have been the queen since she had bonded with her, but Margo adamantly insisted an Aelurian could only bond once.

Nobody bothered pressing Lain for the name of the noble whose blood offered him protection. Sebbi and Lucy seemed to have their own questions lined up for him and once they were far enough away from the castle, they shot them at Lain one after another, like arrows being shot from a bow.

"You let her die?" Lucy asked. His voice remained calm while Sebbi stood next to him, hands shaking, claws fully extended.

"If you were going to let our mother die, you should have made sure she stayed dead," he hissed, making a fist and then slamming it into a nearby tree. It split with a loud crack, half of its trunk lying limp across the ground.

Lain didn't bother to look the brothers in the eyes. Instead, he remained silent, letting them whatever they wished to ask. Abby guessed Lain thought the brothers had the right to know what happened to their mother. So, as they strode through the forest to a place Margo had ensured them would offer sanctuary, he told them the story of that day.

"Your mother, Queen Loreilanna, was a very strong Aelurian, and the best ben'nessra I could have asked to have served under." He cleared his throat as he looked at the brothers confusing faces. "Ben' nessra," he said, "is High Tongue, it means one who rules. Those of noble blood know the language of our ancestors, though most prefer common tongue."

Ben' nessra, Abby thought. The one who rules.

"I was put into her service right after my sixth cycle, after my..." His voice trailed off here and for a moment he looked longingly at the sky. The first grey rays of dawn were peeking through the clouds. The Blood moon finally sinking below the horizon. If Abby hadn't been aware she was in Aelurus, she would have thought she was somewhere in Mirea. Perhaps the Isle of Lo or somewhere on the southern continent.

Lain patted a matte of grey fur down along his forearm and continued, "Someone had been returned to the y'mestria and I'd found myself uncertain of my path in life. But somehow, the gods led me to Darkmoore, to your mother and your father."

Before Lain could continue, Lucy spoke up, "Our father? The king?" He placed his arms over his large chest. "And why is it no one likes to speak of him?"

Lain gulped. "King Octurine had been a good king. But he was fragile and weak. He was Blood Moon born, and second of his ilk - no one thought he'd ever be king. They thought his elder brother, Nocturnis, would win your mother's affections and take the throne." Lain paused and smiled, his thin, concave chest puffed out just a bit. "But my Queen was not blind. She saw through Nocturnis, saw his ambition, his cruelty. He would never be able to exist with the Queen, ruling alongside her. A throne can seat only one."

"When I met her highness, she was very much in love with your father," he paused to look at both Lucy and Sebbi who'd resigned themselves to listening to the entire story before asking him any further questions. His silver eyes grew dim, however, as he forced himself to continue, "But not long after I'd taken the vow of the Wanesguard, the King's brother was made chief advisor and he grew distant, cold, towards her highness. Nocturnis, I'm afraid, used his brother to control the throne from the shadows, and twisted the king's heart until he could see only enemies everywhere. He'd even been convinced his queen was plotting his demise. But—"