Fly Away

9:00 am. I'll have to wait for 15 minutes. No problem. I look around the airport; it's modern and a lot busier than OR Tambo International is on a Sunday. I can't believe I'm finally here in Ireland! I've always wanted to go; mostly to visit Gran but also because of Gran's stories about growing up in the country side. I want to see all the places where she grew up: the farm, the old church, the ruins (where she and her friends hung out) and so much more...

You're probably wondering what I'm doing here away from home. Far far away.

My patient, who secretly is one of my favorites (for the soul reason that she reminds me of my younger sister who is deceased), sits quietly staring at her feet

"I confronted my mom," she whispers. My heart breaks for her; her reaction tells me that the situation went south.
"I'm sorry. I know saying that means nothing but I truly am." She sniffles.
"Then I asked Blake to take me out; make me feel better you know?" I pick my next words carefully worried about any sexual offenses that might've occurred.
"What happened Julie?" There's an sharp edge to my voice.
"Oh no nothing like that. He just...asked me what I thought about marriage after high school." I sigh relieved.
"And what do you think about that topic?"
"I have a life and I want to live it. Baby or not." Her sadness now transforming into anger.
"That's correct. Any life choices considering you and your child are yours."
"Exactly! I seem to be getting hell about my life choices lately, not to mention boys who are competing for my love and then my mother and all her secrets," she finally takes a breath," I just want to get away from it all!" My mistake; not anger but white hot rage. "Do you have a place to go? I wish I could let you stay with me but our apartment is quite small."
"Our?"
"Me and my wife." She smiles happy to have a piece of my life story for once.
"Even so thank you and I do have someone I can go to."
"Oh who?"
"My grandma she lives in Ireland."
"It's far but I think it will be good for you. I'll send your school reasonings as to why you're visiting your grandma and I'll deal with your mom." My protective instincts kicking in. I always knew her mom was hiding something!
"Thank you so much!"
"No problem really. Call your grandma and if finances are an issue I'll pay for your ticket myself. Also if needs be I'll have a talk with those boys if yours as well." Her eyebrows shoot up and she laughs.
"You're really generous to offer but my grandma's loaded. She'll definitely pay for my ticket and please don't talk to the boys about me. The less they know right now the better." I laugh and nod. "Very well in that case I'll inform all who need to know and others that want information can ask them." She smiles again.
"Julie I must apologize for being so invested in your situation but you remind me of someone I care about and although it's against the rules I find myself taking your situation personally."
"I don't mind. It shows that you're human and not just a blank wall who listens to my problems."

"It's good to have you come visit Julie! Even if it's because of bad circumstances back home

"It's good to have you come visit Julie! Even if it's because of bad circumstances back home." Gran; bubbly personality with white and I mean WHITE hair. "Yeah. Thanks for letting me stay."
"Don't talk nonsense; you're welcome here anytime you want. Well you and your baby." She tickles my stomach. "Gran!"

We drive past the city into the country. Green everything as far as the eye can see. Gran pulls up in front of a ivy-covered iron gate. "Welcome to the Healy country residence!" The place is huge. The mansion has been in Gran's family for eons. Not to mention that at the back of the house is a full blown dairy farm. Why hasn't Gran seen me in a long time and why aren't Mom and I sharing in her wealth? Mom and her had a fallout when I was 6 years old and since then Mom has wanted nothing to do with her. Gran did reach out to me though but all we did was the occasional text and call.
"It's good to be here again after so long but you might have to give me the whole tour because I can't remember anything."