chapter fifty

"I'm so sorry, Madi. This hurricane warning has our flight delayed another 3 hours. I'll be there as soon as I can I promise." Daniel said through the phone. His voice was off, but I figured it was due to the stress of tour that had grown. It was Christmas Eve, the day he was supposed to be home. But because of the hurricane warnings in the Gulf, his flight kept getting delayed.

"It's fine, Daniel. We're going to your church's Christmas services tonight so we'll probably be back at your mom's by the time you get home." I nervously ran around my place, trying to put together an outfit. Daniel's parents had invited me to come with them, since Daniel and I would be staying the night there anyway.

"I'll text you as soon as I land, okay?"

We said our goodbyes and I continued to run around to find an outfit. After an hour of trying on different outfits, I eventually settled on a pink knit sweater, a pair of light washed jeans, and tan boots. Keri had sent me a text saying they would be leaving soon and the address to the church. I haven't been to an actual church service since I was involved in my Youth Groups, so I was excited to go back. And it made me even more happy that Daniel's parents had asked me to go with them.

I piled the present Daniel and I had gotten for everyone, along with my bag for the night into the back of my Jeep and made my way to the church. It was about a half hour away, but with holiday traffic it took almost 45 minutes. Anna stood outside waiting for me and I rushed over to her.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry I'm late! Traffic was terrible," I apologized as we went inside.

"It hasn't started yet, so you're fine." Anna reassured me and led me to where their family stood.

"Madison! I'm so glad you could make it," Keri said and wrapped her arms around me.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, Keri." I hugged back as Jeff gave me a kind smile and a wave.

Keri pulled away and looked at the watch on her arm. "Okay, I want a group picture before the service starts."

We all formed a line, one of Jeff's friends taking Keri's phone and snapping a few pictures for us. Keri took some of Anna, Tyler, and Christian together and then some of me and Anna. Keri and Jeff started smiling widely and laughing among themselves, confusing me a bit but I figured it was something one of them had said. Anna and I posed for one more photo, Keri holding up her phone.

"Mind if I get in one?" A familiar voice whispered in my ear. My heart almost jumped out of my chest as I turned around and my eyes were met with his, the blue eyes I missed getting lost in.

"Oh my god, Daniel!" I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. His arms wrapped around my waist, picking me up slightly. It felt so good to have him in my arms again. "I thought you were stuck in Houston?"

"When they first released the hurricane warnings I booked an earlier flight. I couldn't stay away from you any longer." Daniel put me down, but still held me close to him. He cupped my face with his hands and smiled down at me. "God, I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, Baby." I stood on my toes and kissed his lips quickly, remembering we were still in front of his family.

"Okay, love birds, I hate to break this up," Jeff laughed and patted Daniel's shoulder. "But the service is about to start."

Daniel laced his fingers in mine and we followed his family into the sanctuary. He pulled me back a bit and leaned down to my ear. "You look absoultely beautiful, by the way."

The pastor's message only lasted about 15 minutes, retelling the story of Jesus and why we celebrated Christmas. Then it went onto singing a few traditional songs, minus a few cheesy Christmas carols. Daniel held onto my hand the entire time. While the pastor closed out the service, I leaned into him, missing the comfort of being in his arms. After the service closed out, we agreed to just meet at Keri and Jeff's. Daniel and I were staying the night for Christmas tomorrow, but Tyler and Christian were off doing their own thing for the night.

"I don't know how you managed to trick me like that-" I began to say as we got into my car, but was cut off by Daniel placing his lips onto mine. I fell into the kiss with ease as his hand held onto my neck, pulling me closer.

"I-i'm sorry. I just couldn't wait to kiss you again," Daniel stuttered when he pulled away. I giggled, resting our foreheads together.

"I can't tell you how excited I am for you to see your gift tomorrow," I teased and started my car. Daniel tried guessing, but still had no clue as to what it was.

"I'm just excited to be spending this Christmas with the love of my life." Daniel leaned over and gave me quick kiss on my cheek.

Love of my life. It was the first time he had called me that. And I really hoped it wouldn't be the last.