What if we Drown (14)

The scent of lime and cream tickled Ashlyn's senses as she shifted the dish in her hands and knocked three times on the apartment door

The scent of lime and cream tickled Ashlyn's senses as she shifted the dish in her hands and knocked three times on the apartment door. Her current mood both amused and shocked her.

The day progressed slowly while she bided her time, eagerly anticipating this dinner with Kass and Derek. She'd even finished work early so she could head home and make her grandmother's famous Key Lime Pie for dessert. But now that she stood outside his apartment at precisely 6:30 pm, as requested, Ashlyn could sense the doubts beginning to creep back in again. Butterflies took flight in her stomach, their flapping creating a tornado within her gut. If he didn't open the door soon, she was sure to lose her lunch all over the pie.

Ashlyn took a couple of deep, calming breaths as the back of her neck broke out in a sweat. She could do this. It was just one harmless dinner to say thank you. Derek was a good person, and Kass would be there to keep anything from getting too uncomfortable. You can do it, Ash. Deep breaths.

A moment passed, and no one answered the door. She knocked again, pressing her ear to the door. Muffled music echoed from inside, the beat sounding almost rhythmic.

"Just a minute," Derek called from behind the door. She heard the metallic clang of some pots or pans followed by a groan. "Ah, shoot!" Ashlyn heard him exclaim. Perhaps now wasn't a good time, she wondered. Before her flight instincts could kick in, however, she heard footsteps from behind the door, the sound drawing nearer. A thump on the other side of the door followed by a grunt made Ashlyn jump. Images of Derek laying hurt on the floor flicked through her mind. Grabbing the door handle she turned it, hoping that the door was unlocked.

The door handle suddenly pulled from her grip, and Derek stood before her; his body stooped as he rubbed his knee, a box knocked over behind him.

"Hey," he grinned, standing tall. He hesitated for a moment, his arm reaching out to embrace her before he quickly reached up to scratch his nose instead, a clever disguise for the hug he'd intended to give. Ashlyn released the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. So far, so good, she thought. 

Ashlyn bit back a laugh when she took in the tomato that was smeared across Derek's shirt and the bandage on his hand, disguising her humor with a polite smile. Still, she could not stop herself from looking at his shirt. He did not miss the direction of her gaze.

"The pan was too hot for the tomatoes." He chuckled, holding the door open and gesturing for her to enter. Did she detect a flush in his cheeks? Could it be that Derek was embarrassed? She smiled to herself.

Once Ashlyn was in the apartment, and the door was shut behind her, she offered the pie to Derek.

"You didn't have to bring anything, really. Your being here is more than enough." Derek smiled, bringing the pie up to his nose and inhaling deeply. Ashlyn shrugged off his words. Someone had recently taught her that it was rude to go to somebody's home without bringing something. The wilting daisies on her kitchen counter were a testament to that lesson.