𝐱𝐱𝐯. A FAMILY DIVIDED

▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE ▬▬▬

WHEN ESMERELDA FINISHED RECOUNTING WHAT she had learned about the paternal side of her family, Ethan was understandably troubled by it all. It was one thing to have a shitty dad that went to jail (just like his did), but it was another to be the daughter of a complete psychopath.

Esmerelda's father—Sirius Black—was a serial killer, a cultist who followed some dArK wiZaRd called Lord Voldemort (of all the gods damned names), and a traitor to his closest friends.

But aren't you a traitor too? An evil voice whispered in his head.

Ethan mentally punched the evil voice away. Sure he was technically the bad guy, but he had a good reason to be one. Olympus needed to be brought down, needed to be fixed. It wasn't fair that there were gods and goddesses that were seen as 'unimportant', wasn't fair that their children were seen as the same thing and forced to sleep on the floor of an overcrowded cabin, and it wasn't fair for the gods to abandon their own children and use them as disposable soldiers—

"You guys have a wizard Hitler?" Alabaster's bewildered voice cut him off from his thoughts.

"Seriously?" Esmerelda huffed. "I just told you my dad's a serial killer and that's all you hear?"

"How long is he locked up for?" Ethan asked. There was an edge in his voice.

Esmerelda shrugged. "I don't know. I sort of forgot to ask, but they made it sound like he'll be locked away for good."

"Let's hope so," Alabaster chirped, clapping her back. "Now can we get back to the wizard Hitler? What was his name again? Volding Mold?"

"Voldemort," she corrected, giggling. "Apparently he's supposed to be dead now, but the centaurs say otherwise."

"Better to trust the centaurs than the mortals." Alabaster advised her.

Esmerelda nodded in agreement. Centaurs were known to be a wiser race compared to humans after all. Though she did wonder how the mortals would mistake Voldemort's death. Did they not check the body right? Was there even a body found? She made a mental note to check it out later when they finally reached Camp Half Blood.

The campers working on patrol duty waved at them as they passed by, and she waved back.

"Essie, you're back!" Aiden Creed, her eight year old half-brother and the youngest child of Hecate, greeted her gleefully as she entered the rickety old cabin. He threw his arms around her and eagerly asked, "Do have any magic toys?!"

"No, sorry," she said apologetically, squeezing him back before they pulled away.

"Aww," he pouted.

"Got any cool magic tricks to show us?" Travis asked before taking a bite out of his apple.

Aiden's eyes lit up. "Do you?! He asked excitedly.