CHAPTER 19

It had been six days to my curt visit at the cafe Magic Beans and mom had been warned against talking about Omanah Thakkar ever again. As far as I was concerned, the chapter was shut closed and tossed off. Mom realized that my decision was hard as a rock and so she had given up on that female. In two days, the work desk of my room was stacked up with the files containing different Gujarati single females who were willing to marry. 

Mom also insisted on getting me registered for a matrimonial site but I asked her to take things slow. I promised her to go through those untouched files in the coming weekend and shortlist the females I would want to meet.

It was late Saturday evening and I was back home early. Dad was back from his business trip and he was taking mom to Hawaii for holidaying the next day. I freshened up in my room and stepped out to join my parents for dinner.

"Kshitij!" Dad called out to me from the bar, "Join me, son."

I walked towards the bar and took the bar-chair next to him, "All set for Hawaii,dad?"

"As much as I could ever be!" He raised the champagne flute in his hand, "How is the office?"

"Smooth and fine. The meeting with the Nanavatis of Ahmedabad will be scheduled after ten-fifteen days. Will you be back by then?" 

"I suppose. There is only so much that your mom could handle of me. Then she starts missing you two." He laughed.

"Jay has been instructed to make at least one phone call every alternate day." I smiled.

"Poor lad." Dad shook his head, "Rutuja wouldn't leave him alone on his honeymoon too. Sanjana already has a competition in her."

I raked a hand through my hair. Dad gave me an encouraging smile and clapped my shoulder. I forced a smile to calm the worrisome creases off his forehead.

"What is the champagne for?" I asked changing the topic.

Dad spared one glance at the glittering liquid in his flute and said, " I'm toasting to the successfully sealed deal of U.S.A. You mother-son duo would never join me in that and my other son is busy honeymooning, leaving this old man to celebrate alone."

"Don't you dare call yourself old!" Mom declared her presence, "It would mean that I've grown old too."

I got up and looped my arm around her shoulders, "Don't worry woman, you are still young and heart stoppingly beautiful as ever."

She laughed and  turned to me, "You have surely inherited your father's romantic streak."

I stepped away from her and took a mocking bow.

A doorbell interrupted us and one of the house-helps entered the drawing room.

"Rutuja madam," He politely drew mom's attention towards him, "Naina Joisar and her friends are here to see you and Kshitij sir."

Mom's eyes lit up on hearing the guest's name, "Escort them in!"

I frowned at the possible reason behind their unannounced arrival. 

Dad turned to mom, "Are these the same ladies you were telling me about?'

Mom nodded a hasty yes just when the four females entered the room. All of them exchanged pleasantries and settled on the couches in the center of the drawing room. I took the one in corner, clearly uninterested in the entire conversation that was about to happen.

"What brings you all here today?" Mom asked.

"Kshitij." All of them spoke in unison.

Honestly, these four women creeped me out a little.