XXIV

I laced up my cleats, sat in my car. It was my first proper match since I had been kicked off the team and Coach had made it very clear that it was going to effect my recommendation statement. I had to play well.

I got out of the car, slamming the door shut. I cringed at the sound of cleats on concrete, hurrying over to the pitch and dropping my bag with everyone else's. Coach greeted me with a nod and my team mates greeted me with a glare. Charming.

"Start warming up." Coach barked, "Everyone will be arriving soon."

I did some basic stretches before breaking out into a light jog around the pitch. I didn't want to tire myself out, doing sprinting laps like the goons- it was simply burning energy unnecessarily. Once I was warmed up, I jogged back to where Coach was sorting stuff out, lending him a hand.

"You'll kick ass today; ignore the others." Coach mumbled, his voice so low I almost didn't hear him.

A wide smile stretched out on my face, my heart warming. He actually did like me, after all. The stands were full of people now and the other team were warming up on the opposite end of the pitch. My eyes scanned the crowds and widened in surprise.

I jogged over to the group of people who were rooting for me. Obviously my family were there, but Felix had brought the whole group too. It had been a week since I had seen them, so I was ecstatic they were here.

"It's the superstar himself!" Saint cheered, his arm around a girl, "He's graced us with his presence."

"Shut up, Saint." I laughed, "You must be Mia."

"It's so good to meet you! All of these idiots have been singing your prayers." Mia gushed, wrapping me in a hug.

"You're gonna kick ass today!" Mary cheered with Angel.

"Kicking and Screaming." Felix reminded me, with a wink.

"Kicking and screaming." I nodded, feeling pumped.

"Kicking and Screaming? What is that?" Oli scrunched up his nose, looking curious.

"Our motto." I shrugged, smiling.

I can't believe everyone had turned up for this. It was really sweet. It was really tugging at my heart strings- I finally had a friendship group. Everyone gave me a high-five or a hug and wished me luck.

"Wanna celebrate if we win?" I asked, everyone cheering.

"Daxx and I are going out tonight, so you can use our place if you like?" Connor offered sweetly, taking a hold of Daxx's arm.

"We are?" Daxx asked, clearly confused.

Connor whispered for him to be quiet, nudging him. I nodded, saying thank you. We all agreed to meet and head there together after the match. I was really hoping we won now, so that I would get a chance to celebrate with my friends.

I received another round of good lucks from everyone, before heading back to the pitch. I did some more stretches and then headed over to Coach to go over strategy. Coach gave us a less than inspiring group message, but I remember what he had said to me personally and my confidence grew once again.

"Kicking and screaming." I heard several people yell from the crowd, making a smile crack out on my face.

"Who are they?" Jimmy's voice questioned from behind me, making my stomach churn.

"My friends." I shrugged, sending them a wave.

"They all look queer, like him." A goon spat near my feet, making my lip curl up in disgust.