CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Scarlett shook her head at Knox. 

"Don't do it."

"Why not? it's romantic! You're the one that said women swoon!"

"Knox, sneaking into Chris's school and reading her a poem-"

"Is a great idea," Charlie interrupted, throwing his arm over Knox's shoulders. 

Scarlett glared at him.

"C'mon Scar, what's the worst-case scenario?"

"You read her the poem in front of her class and she gets embarrassed and hates you forever, while Chet finds out and kills you."

Knox suddenly looked less enthusiastic.

"Ignore her, Knoxious. Carpe diem."

The lovesick boy glanced between his two best friends. Scarlett was ardently shaking her head, while Charlie was doing the opposite. 

"No offense, Scarlett, but I think I'm going. Consider this diem carpe-d."

And with that, he ran out the doors.

"Bet you five bucks he gets beat up by Chet again," Scarlett said, turning to Charlie.

"Bet you ten bucks Chris falls madly in love with him," he countered.

The chaotic duo shook on it. 

Knox didn't return until lunchtime.

"Hey, how did it go? Did you read it to her?" Charlie asked, grabbing his arm.

"Yeah."

The others began to cheer and whistle, only to be shushed by Scarlett.

"What did she say?"

"Nothing."

Knox seemed very unbothered.

"What do you mean, nothing?" Charlie asked.

"Nothing," Knox grinned. "But I did it."

He turned and started down the hall, Charlie and the others chasing after him.

"What did she say? I know she had to say something!"

"Come here, Knox?"

"Carpe diem!" he yelled over his shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The girls were laughing madly as they twirled around in their nicest dresses. Camille's white floaty skirt drifted around her like a cloud. 

"Cami, you look like a fairy," Scarlett proclaimed, stepping out from behind their dressing screen clad in a black one-shoulder dress. 

"Thanks," Camille said, drinking in her friend's appearance. "You look...really hot."

She clapped a hand over her mouth. Scarlett blinked.