Chapter Twenty Five

It took less than a second for Florence to move after Gally had spoke. She took her eyes from the boy and nudged Minho to encourage him to also start running.

It blew her mind that Gally could feel happy staying in the Glade his entire life. She couldn't think of anything worse than being trapped there forever.

I hope it all goes okay for him.

Remembering their route from before, Florence helped Thomas lead from the front, taking everyone towards section seven where they discovered the 'Griever's Home' as Chuck named it. Minho stayed at the back to make sure no one was left behind or got lost. Florence could only imagine his frustration in having to run slowly for everyone else.

"Everybody, this way!"

They ran through the Blades before Thomas came to a stop besides a wall. Glancing around the corridor, he swallowed a lump in his throat and flattened his body against the wall.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked nervously, to which he nodded. 

Florence felt her chest tighten in nerves but she tightened her grip on the spear she had in her hands. She was ready to fight one if she had to.

"You take this, Chuck." Minho held out the metal cannister to the young boy who took it from him, his hands visibly shaking.

"Stay behind us." Thomas advised, patting his shoulder. Florence gave him a reassuring smile, only imagining how nervous he must be.

"It's okay. Just stick with me."

Florence questioned Teresa's eagerness to stay back and refrain from fighting, internally, and left it at that. After all, it was good that Chuck had someone in particular to stay with and follow.

"Once we're through, it will activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying." 

Thomas' eyes were firmly on Newt as he spoke, as if the boy was encouraging him to continue talking. When he finished, he gripped his spear in both hands, finally breaking his stare on Newt to glance at everyone else.

"Ready?" 

Everyone voiced their agreement, and Florence felt her heart pick up in speed. 

It was like the moment before you dropped on a rollercoaster. The adrenaline and the rush creeping up on you, knowing it was about to come rushing in in only a second.

"All right. Let's go!"

Thomas' yell was what led them to charge around the corner, headed straight for the Griever. It was the stupidest thing Florence had probably ever done in her entire life, but here she was doing it.

Upon sight of the group, the Griever began scuttling down the corridor towards them at an alarming pace. Florence was now at the front of the pack, her spear brandished out in front of her, yelling to distract herself from the fact she wanted to cry.

When they reached the Griever they skidded to a stop. Thrusting their spears at its skin to pierce it and shove it away, they managed to shun it to the side and sidle past so they had access to the end of the corridor.

For a while, pushing it towards the edge was working, but the Griever had its own strength. It roared back at the teenagers, flinging its arms about and grabbing a Glader stood near the back of the group, chucking him off the edge.

Florence felt her stomach drop, but she couldn't stop fighting back. Teresa sliced an arm off the Griever, in the process somehow knocking the cannister Chuck had been holding tightly in his hand.