Chapter Thirty Five: Wrong

Felicity and Callie sat at the long dining table, both she-wolves watching as Vik balanced two plates on a long table that was covered in breakfast foods.

One for him. One for her.

She smiled.

"How on earth did you end up here, Callie?" Felicity asked quietly as Vik picked both plates up and headed to another table covered in food.

Callie knew the woman didn't mean here on Magnum pack territory.

"A lot has changed since I was last here," she muttered quietly, taking a sip of coffee from the mug before her, finally tearing her gaze from Vik.

"So I can tell,' she said, eyeing Kennedy as the she-wolf hovered over the table that held three different types of juice.

Callie followed her gaze, watching Kennedy closely. She wished she could shake the strange feeling she had about her.

"I found my uncle," Callie said quietly, turning from Kennedy, focusing on Felicity with a stare. The woman's eyebrows rose but she didn't comment. "He wasn't what I'd hoped for," she admitted, cradling the mug of coffee in her hands. "Kennedy was from his pack."

Felicity nodded, looking up at Vik as he neared the table and placed a plate of food in front of Callie. She smiled up at him in thanks and he took a seat next to her.

"Last time I was here, I got the impression that you all had more to say about my uncle but that other woman, what was her name, Laura?"

"Grace," Felicity corrected with a grimace. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, staring down into her coffee her a moment. "Grace's history with Fitz is a little complicated. They were together, you know. Fitz would never take a mate, he'd said, but him and Grace were practically together. But he wasn't nice to her, not towards the end. When he left, she wouldn't go with him. That said, she still won't have him bad mouthed, not in her hearing."

Callie tried not to let her surprise show and instead focused on the plate of food Vik had given her. She ate silently, letting Felicity's words wash over her. "I'd like to talk to her, I think," she said after a moment.

When she looked back up, Felicity was staring at her and Vik again.

"Ask your question, she-wolf," Vik nearly growled. Callie could sense how unsettled his wolf was.

Felicity bristled and Callie placed a calming hand on Vik's arm.

The old woman cleared her throat. "We've lost a few wolves to you. They went looking for the beast of the valley – young ones normally. You killed them," Vik stilled. "How do I know that Callie is safe around you? Your wolf is dancing in your eyes right now. How do I know any of us are safe?"

Callie swallowed a lump in her throat, her heart hammering in her chest. This wasn't going to end well.

"You aren't," Vik stated, his voice tinged by his wolf. "She is," he said, nodding toward Callie.

He didn't speak again, and apparently that was the only answer Felicity would receive – but when Callie glanced at the she-wolf she realised that maybe that was the only answer she needed.

"Good," she said before taking a long sip of her tea. "You can come in now." She wasn't talking to them, Callie realised, as the door behind them opened and wolves began pouring in.

"Caleb," Callie whispered in surprise as he walked in, his mate by his side. Henderson followed in behind him and to Callie's delight, Grace.

"How long have they been out there?" Callie asked Felicity as the wolves moved to the breakfast food and began piling their plates.