Chapter Twenty-One

I'm dedicating this to my grandma, who I miss every single day.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"What kind of things did you like to do... do you like to do? Besides being an Alpha?"

My words were light and curious as I looked into Roman's face. I was resting on his lap much more comfortably than I thought I'd ever be with him. My hands were lying against his chest, but his was tracing my face with his own curiosity. I felt backwards, upside down, but oddly content in being so.

"I don't do anything I like," Roman responded simply.

I frowned.

"You're immortal and you've lived for centuries, but you don't have anything you do just because you like to?" I asked skeptically. I couldn't imagine having his power, status, and not just doing whatever I wanted to do. But then, Roman seemed like someone who would punish himself even more so than he was already being punished...

It had already been weeks since I'd first mated with Roman officially. I'd spent most of my days learning everything about the Trinity pack, its origins, its members, and its territory included. I'd been learning about other packs and their leaders. I'd also been training, both with my Sol, Logan, and with Roman himself. Where Logan seemed more intent on honing my defensive and offensive fighting skills, Roman had been helping me learn more about shifting. I was stubborn to this day; I could hold a partial shift longer than before, but the full shift still evaded me.

While I might spend some days without Roman, I spent every night with him being devoured by a wild passion that I was certain I'd grow tired of but never did. What did I think of the King Alpha now? He was terribly handsome and his touch brought heat to my skin. He was untamed, monstrous even, but his voice was like cool water, refreshing and relieving. I looked for him when he wasn't around and I looked only at him when he was. What did I think of him?

"Hmm... I like to train with you," Roman answered my question, running his thumb over my bottom lip slowly.

"That's work," I frowned seriously.

"I like to play with you then," He continued, unfazed. I smiled, despite trying not to.

"I meant before me."

"There was nothing before you," Roman shrugged simply.

"There were centuries before me. You're such a sad excuse for a wolf, Roman," I sighed, leaning forward to rest my forehead against his. Roman only chuckled at my insult, running his hands over my back delicately. I inhaled deeply, breathing in that indescribable scent of his that made the beast inside me shiver in delight. "You smell..."

I paused to keep myself from saying something embarrassing.

"Amazing? Wonderful? The best excuse for a wolf you've ever met?" Roman teased me, leaning forward to steal a kiss. I pulled away sharply, holding my hand over his mouth before looking at him determinedly.

"Like a dog," I lied. I squeaked in surprise when he twisted, flipping me onto my back below him on the bed. But when he hovered above me, I didn't try to struggle or find an escape. I'd long stop trying to escape him by now.

Roman lowered his face over mine delicately, trailing his lips over my right cheek just below my eye and I closed my eyes in response. My heart was racing in my chest and my skin was hot with enjoyment.

"You smell like the trees," Roman said slowly, trailing his lips over my jaw line carefully. "You smell like the Earth and the rivers; the day and the night." He lowered his lips over my collarbone where Lillian's claws had left a nasty scar and my eyes fluttered open in response. "You smell like prey and predator... human and wolf..." He lifted his face back over mine, watching me hungrily. "... tempting and dangerous."