Chapter 10- Phoenix King: The Truth

On New Years Eve, at exactly an hour before the New Year rolled in, my phone buzzed with my first text message from Talla Knight since the day after our 'date' at The Rich Table. However, this message was different from most, as it was riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, which made me think she was drunk.

The text read, HEy Pheonix, happy NEw YEar! Well have to get in touch to talk more bout the contract. Text me and Im sure we can work smething out :)

I almost hadn't heard my phone beep with the notification, due to the thumping Top 100 Playlist of pop music blaring from the loudspeakers. However, Alexander heard it and was quick to pause the music and our excessive drinking game, just to advise me what to type back.

Every time I read the text message, my palms became clammy and my nerves spiked. I didn't know if it was because of the alcohol that this joy buzz suddenly came or because Talla was the one that reached out first. One thing I do know, is that without Alex, I don't think I would have replied.

"Dude, you should just send your New Years wishes, with like a GIF of fireworks, or something." Alex, suggested, but I immediately turned him down with a simple shake of my head. "Fine then, give me your phone..."

"Why the hell would I give you my phone?" I semi-slurred my words. I think it was clear that I wasn't much of a drinker as Alex was completely fine.

"Phoenix, I mean this in the most respectful way possible," He started, and slung an arm over my shoulders. "You are not the best at flirting. I however, am an experienced dater and can be your wingman for this entire experience- just give me a chance."

I debated for a minute, before silently and slowly handing my phone over to Alexander, who immediately snatched it out of my hand and began furiously typing away.

To: Talla Knight: Hey Talla! Thanks for the wishes, I send regards over to you as well :) We should meet up tomorrow for lunch or dinner again, the last time was a blast and I really enjoyed myself.

I heard the phone send a message twice, so I just presumed that Alex went against my wishes and sent the GIF of the fireworks anyway. Except when my phone was finally in my hands again, I was horrified that it wasn't a GIF of fireworks but instead an enlarged kiss emoji.

My heart was pounding when I saw the three replying dots pop up on the screen, only to disappear and never return for the rest of the night.

---

The one thing I hated about being a future CEO of my families' company was that I had to work on a public holiday... and with a killer hangover.

Dad and Mum had made my job no easier as they kept calling and demanding, with the voices raised, that I filled paperwork for their law cases or go through the evidence collected and fax the files over to them.

However, my day became slightly better when Talla finally answered the text message that Alex sent her last night.

From: Talla Knight: Sorry I replied so late Phoenix, I got a little drunk last night and overslept this morning. I'd love to go for lunch today, if you're still up for it. What time and where do you want to meet?

To Talla Knight: That's fine Talla, I'm just happy you replied :) Care to meet up at Jade Park in an hour?

From Talla Knight: Sure, I'll see you soon!

---

I think I had come to realize that turning up late to events was just Talla's specialty.

I was sitting at a park bench, beside a small and peaceful pond, for an extra half and hour before Talla arrived. She was out of breath and appeared to be a little frazzled, as if she was in a rush to get here.