Chapter Thirty Four: A Thousand Not So Secret Senders

it's not midnight and i'm updating haha <3 but i must study so i leave you with this chapter. dedicated to briana bc she guessed correct on some past foreshadowing! ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy :) xx

* * *

Chapter Thirty Four: A Thousand Not So Secret Senders

The days leading up to Christmas were some of my best days.

Movie marathons, frequent dates, late nights in bed, days with friends, and games with the kids.

Honestly, I don’t know what it was about finally telling Jessica I love her – other than the weight off my chest and the satisfaction of having known she feels the same way – but our affections towards each other have increased tenfold. Which makes it more sickening to others but a hell lot more blissful for Jessica and I.

The morning of Christmas Eve, I woke up to chiming noises and perky music quietly playing behind me. I let out an exhausted moan and stretched my limbs out from under the covers, then stilled. The noises continued.

“Battery percent?”

“About eighty.”

I turned my head. It took me a moment for my eyes to fully open and focus on Jessica laying beside me. “That’s, like, seventy nine percent too much, sunshine."

Jessica laughed and dropped the phone onto the bed. “I’ll charge it, I’ll charge it,” she promised sweetly before leaning across my body for the phone charger end on my bedside table. My arms wrapped around her waist in instinct as she plugged it in.

“You know my battery is shit, and we have to go out today,” I said to her, eyes closed, voice still husky with sleep.

She laid her head against my chest. “It’ll charge over breakfast. Your turn to cook, by the way.” My reluctant groan earned me a smack to the chest. “Don’t be a lazy ass," she chastised.

“Too early to hear cussing out of your mouth, Jess,” I yawned as I caught her hand in mine and pressed a lazy kiss to the back of it.

“It’s ten in the morning. Compared to the wake up calls I was giving you in California, this is nothing.”

“True, but it’s a double win getting sleep and having you in my bed.” It surely was a double win when you can combine two things you love into one morning.

“Sounds dirty,” she mumbled, making me smirk. “Well, now that you’ve won . . .” The warmth enveloping my body disappeared when she and the blanket were pulled away from me. I scowled as the cold air touched my bare chest and legs. “Get up and make breakfast,” Jessica ordered, nudging my leg as she slid off the mattress. “Chris is awake. I hear his cartoons.”

It was a struggle departing myself from my bed. My warm, cozy bed. No wonder I’m a night person.