Chapter Thirteen

Luncheon was an awkward affair.

Mrs Oliver seemed itching to make a comment about me but somehow managed to hold her tongue as we ate, even though she had never been all that shy about sharing her feelings towards me in the past. It certainly made luncheon a little better for me but with only small talk being made, it was really awkward.

William sat across from me on the table and kept pulling faces when no one was looking, forcing me to bury my face in my potato to keep from laughing and offering Mrs Oliver another form of ammunition against me. It made things a little better, but I could not help feeling that the awkward mood had a little something to do with me. Even Mrs Atkinson seemed uncomfortable by it but offered no means of remedying the tension.

The only person who seemed to be enjoying themselves was Sophie. She appeared to be pleased that her mother was uncomfortable and no doubt glad that she had not spent the time picking faults in either her or me. To me, that was the only good side of luncheon – a distinct lack of insults being thrown around about either Sophie or me.

After luncheon, Mrs Oliver made a hasty retreat from the house with Sophie, whose good mood from luncheon disappeared almost as fast as it appeared. She muttered a quick goodbye to William and me before she left which earned her a glare from her mother who had tried to miss us when she walked past. Part of me hoped that we had formed something of a friendship even though our conversation had been short. Mrs Oliver would be the one who stood in the way of that. She certainly did not seem to care all that much about her own daughter's happiness.

Not long after they left, Mr Atkinson decided that my time in their house had come to an end. They had promised Matron I would be back before supper and that time was rapidly approaching. I had grabbed my nightdress from the room I had stayed in and my shawl from the coat stand in the hall. Mr Atkinson was arranging the carriage and I had no idea where Mrs Atkinson had gone which left William and me in the entranceway.

"I had fun today," he said.

"Me too, although I don't think baking will be a new hobby of mine," I said, laughing.

"I've never seen anyone mess up as badly as you did, but I can't really talk seeing as I am abysmal at cutting vegetables. I'd say we're pretty even."

"Perhaps so."

"Listen, Lizzie, I know you have your reservations about my parent's plans and I wouldn't blame you. I don't know what happened to make you so wary of people, but I hope today has gone some way to help, even if it is only a little. I'd love to have you as a sister, but only if you are willing."

He smiled at me, the right side of his mouth turned up a little more than the other side, exposing his teeth slightly. There was a childishness in almost everything he did. From his smile to the way he behaved at luncheon and even when we were in the kitchen. Mr Atkinson may have had the right idea – albeit for the wrong reasons – in having William and I spend the day together as it certainly helped to lessen my fear of him, and my wariness started to dissipate.

I would be lying if I said my mind hadn't changed a little about potential adoption in the time I had spent in their house, but I knew that I needed a little more time before I made the decision final. That, and I needed to talk to Charity. She had always been the voice of reason for me and helped me to make decisions I did not even know I needed to make. Charity had away or putting things that made me see them in a different light and this certainly needed a new perspective.

"Alright, I think it is time we go so we can get you back in time," Mrs Atkinson said, appearing from further down the hall. "I do hope you enjoyed your time with us."