δ | four

ARES HAD BLONDE HAIR. In all the myths I've read, stories I've heard, I never once pictured him to be a blonde and I wondered why I didn't give my imagination that choice. Was it because I thought dark hair suited his personality better? Or was it because I never liked Ares and thought he wasn't deserving of the golden hair? I didn't have a clue. But that didn't matter because in his blonde glory, Ares looked ruggedly handsome and dare I say, hot. I couldn't blame Aphrodite for wanting him.

When Ares clenched his jaw, I tore my gaze from him and followed his view. Hephaestus placed his lips on Aphrodite's to give her a quick but lingering kiss.

When Aphrodite's eyes met mine, she gestured to the other neànis who stood beside the food table. They were a mix of young men and women, not leaning on the wall, not once slouching at all. Their backs were erect and stiff even when they whispered and laughed among each other. I straightened mine as well and tried not to stand out like an oddball when I joined them.

I stood behind a woman with crimson hair and listened in on their conversation. "... looks like she is ready to push someone into the fire pit. What happened, Gria?"

The pale brunette shook her head and her lips trembled lightly as she spoke, "My Lady suspects her husband is seeing a mortal in secret. He has been making frequent trips to Earth but My Lady is not able to see what he's doing."

As soon as she finished, all eyes turned to the young man with grey eyes. He shrugged. "I don't keep track of Lord Zeus. He has been giving me bonus periods of leisure. I assumed he was being kind. Only now that you tell me, I find it suspicious," he said and then added after a pause, "But it's not my place to act on it. And neither should you intervene, Gria. Wait — did she happen to do anything to you?"

Gria nodded. The others grew a grim expression on their faces. "She threw her gold quill at me and it pierced my eyes," she said and the crimson-haired lady placed her arm on her shoulders in sympathy. "I was lucky enough for Lady Aegle to heal them quickly when I went to the Healers room. Otherwise I would have gone half-blind."

"Working for Lady Hera and winning her appreciation is an unconquerable task. Lord Zeus was the one who showed mercy and pardoned Arilla when she begged for — wait, I haven't seen you before. Who are you?" The young lady with long earrings pointed at me, making everyone's attention converge on me. I opened my mouth to answer but my voice caught when I reminded myself that I was supposed to be mute.

I pointed at my lips and then crossed my fingers. A man in an orange dress shirt came to my rescue. "I saw her come in with Lady Aphrodite," he said, his eyes lingering on me. He had chestnut hair and a white scar above his left eyebrow. His eyes were the colour of sunset, a blend of pink and orange.

"Oh yes, how did I forget? Isle had to leave because her mother was sick," The woman said. "So, you are mute?"

I nodded.

"Shame. Lady Aphrodite has the most interesting secrets," the yellow-haired man said. "But you seem befitting to be the Goddess of Beauty's neànis. Fair and ravishing."

My cheeks warmed. The lady next to Gria snorted. "Leave her be, you dolt. She is not going to fall for your aimless flattery," she said, smacking his arm. I laughed soundlessly and turned to the side, only for my laughter to get stuck in my throat. The man in the orange shirt was staring at me with his eyes narrowed, like he was figuring out a challenging puzzle. I was scared he was going to see through the glamour that Aphrodite had cast upon me.

I raised my eyebrows at him and he quickly turned away.

The others continued chatting among themselves. At times, the crimson-haired lady would pass me a smile to make me feel included in their conversation. I learnt that she was Athena's neànis and the yellow-haired man was Apollo's.