CHAPTER SIX

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"I can't find my phone anywhere-- I must've left it at the house or dropped it somewhere when I was drunk" I huff as I collapse onto the couch on the porch, finally giving up after searching high and low for it. After Rafe had dropped me off home the other night I woke up and my phone was gone.

I was out like a light so I barely remember getting inside my house, I just woke up in my bed. I definitely didn't use my phone in the car so that was out of question, plus I didn't want to have to see Rafe again and ask him about it. I was hoping someone would've found it at the party and gave it in or something but I highly doubt it.

I go about my day without my phone, cursing at myself for being so irresponsible and losing it in the first place. We get to school just cutting it close to being late, all of us separating as we walk to our classes. I had English first which meant I would see Tristan, and I needed to talk to him. I needed answers for him ditching the party and how he got a bleeding nose.

During class I look over at him behind his desk, his head low as he jots down notes from the board. I try to catch his attention, hoping he'd see me but he doesn't so I decide to just catch him after class. As soon as the bell rings I quickly pack my things before I leave the class and wait outside for Tristan.

"Hey can I talk to you?" I question him as I touch his arm to gain his attention. He just nods silently before allowing me to pull him away into a quieter hallway.

"What happened the other night?" I ask him when we're finally alone. He shrugs before he answers.

"I uh-- got into shit with someone and had to leave I'm sorry for ditching you" He apologizes.

"No it's fine I'm just glad you're okay. How's your nose?" I ask, nodding my head towards his face and he gives me a small smile.

"It's healing" He answers bluntly. Confusion washes over me as I try to figure out why he's being so cold, he usually always has a joke to say or a sly comment.

"Look Tristan if this is about how I reacted after we kissed--"

"No, it's not trust me. I'm sorry for basically forcing you to kiss me. I just don't think we should do any of that anymore" Tristan says and nod in agreement.

"Yeah we should try take it slow and wait until--" I start but he cuts me off before I can finish. A look of guilt clear on his face as he opens his mouth to speak.

"No I mean all of this. I'm sorry Eve, I just can't do it" Tristan says lowly before he leaves the hallway hastily, keeping his head down as he walks off.