CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"Hey Evie, c'mon-- get up" I groan as I hear Sarah whisper into my ear, her hand pressing into my shoulder as she gently shakes me. I roll over, pulling the covers over my head as she continues her badgering.

"Leave me to sleep" I mumble from beneath the sheets, my eyes screwed shut still. I hear a heavy sigh before I feel her rip the blankets back, exposing me to the cold air before she weighs her body onto mine.

"I'm not getting up until you leave this bed" She protests, a smirk clear in her tone as she rocks her body back in forth, causing a groan to leave my lips from the uncomfortable sensation.

"Fine, I'm getting up" I complain, gently pushing her head before I sit up-- stretching my limbs as I let out a yawn.

"Help me make breakfast?" She questions me, a grin playing on her lips as she looks over at me. I chuckle, nodding before I tell her I'll be down soon.

I stayed over enough times for me to have a spare toothbrush and a bag of clothes, something I was thankful for on a morning like this. Last night's events exhausted me, I could still taste the glasses of alcohol I practically inhaled and my mind was still foggy.

I return to the guest room, huffing as I pull at the sheets and pillows as I try to locate my phone. I pulled open the beside table drawers and everything but still-- nothing. A smile ghosts my lips as I reflect on when I had it last, which was last night when Rafe and I first got to Tannyhill after we left Midsummers.

I left it charging in his room after he offered me his spare charger, which was while we were slow dancing in the middle of his bedroom. I can't fight the grin that grows on my face as I reflect back on the moments Rafe and I shared last night. Alone, we stole a few kisses, danced to a whole playlist of songs and talked about everything we could think of. Eventually everyone returned home, the sound of the family car running over the gravel in the driveway causing me to give Rafe one last kiss before I retired to Sarah's room.

I make my way to Rafe's room, twisting the doorknob before gently pushing the door open. I peek my head in first, checking to see if he's around before I creep into the room. His shower's running so I assume he's in the bathroom. I use the opportunity to tip toe towards the cabinet that my phone was charging on last but I stop when I realize it's no longer there. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as I frantically look around, digging through his drawers to look for my lost phone.

I curse under my breath as I kick around his piles of clothes in case it was accidentally buried underneath them, but yet again I find nothing. I'm too invested in trying to find my phone that I fail to hear the shower turn off and the bathroom door open.