Chapter Eleven

Eleven-

Taking Skylar out to the mall today is a big step in the right direction.

A lot of people from school are there. Not like I care what they think since I won't be seeing any of them for a while. I'm proud of myself for finally being able to show Skylar off in public. She's very well behaved, which is a big plus.

I take Skylar into Babies 'R' Us and let her run around with the other kids. In my peripheral vision I spot a friend of mine; a soon-to-be senior on the varsity lacrosse team.

I walk up to him. "Hey man. Did you get stuck shopping with your sister again?" I ask, slapping him on the back. Nate's his name

He rubs the back of his neck and, before he can answer, a heavily pregnant girl comes and stands beside him. "Oh, hey Colton." I recognize her. She was on the cheer team, Nicole, and her and Nate are dating...

"Oh shit man, shopping for baby supplies?" I ask with a laugh, even though I see a cart full of blue shit. A boy. Another baby that Skylar can hang out with.

"It sucks," Nicole says, rubbing her stomach. She must be close to her due date. I can't imagine Trinity with a belly that size and that round.

Skylar runs into my legs and falls on her butt. She's a clumsy one. I pick her up in my arms. "Hey, I don't think you've met my daughter. Nate, Nicole, this is Skylar. Skylar, that's Nate and Nicole, daddy's friends." This is the first time I've ever referred to myself as "daddy". And you know what? I kinda liked it.

Nate's silent for a moment before saying, "I didn't think the rumors were true. I never saw Crystal pregnant-"

"Skylar is not Crystal's. Her mom is a girl I met at a few summers ago," I explain. It sounds like I'm just putting off Trinity, like she wasn't a huge part of my life, even though she was. It's just easier this way, not having to explain anything. "Anyways, when are you due?"

Skylar leans forward in my arms and tries to poke Nicole's belly. She looks at me in question. "There's a little baby in there, just like you were in mommy's belly."

Nicole smiles. "My official due date is tomorrow. We've procrastinated on getting all the things for his room."

I adjust Skylar so she's sitting on my hip. "Do you guys know what you're going to name him?"

Nate and Nicole look at each other with smiles on their faces. My heart contracts in my chest. I image Trinity and I walking through these aisles, picking out clothes and toys and a crib. Would we be that happy? Would we still be happy? "We were thinking Robert Hue Jackson."

I nod. It has a nice ring to it. Nicole's phone goes off and she curses. "We have to go, we're almost late to the appointment. It was great seeing you Colton, and meeting Skylar. Maybe in a year they can go on a play date!" By the end of the sentence she has dragged the cart and Nate halfway down the aisle.

Skylar babbles random words as I pick out some clothes for her. I can't wait to have a guy friend that knows what I'm going through.

"Do you like this?" I ask her, holding out a dress with ladybugs on it.

Skylar nods her head. Soon she'll need a whole new wardrobe with the way she's growing.

After checking out we head to the food court. I get a cheese pizza and cut Skylar's into small pieces. She loves to feed herself. I pull out her milk and set it beside her food.

"I wish you could have a conversation," I tell her, biting out of my pizza. Damn, I should have put a bib on her.

I check my phone and see a message from Dawn. It was great working for you. I know you're going to be a wonderful parent.