Epilogue 2.0

A crucial thing to know is that Josh, Maya's son, has been Skylar's best friend throughout her life. When Skylar visits for Christmas break, she tells us that Josh asked her out on a date. And she said yes. And that date was a month ago. And it went great.

"I didn't even know he liked me like that," she says over Christmas Eve dinner.

Tristan smirks. "I knew."

"How did you know?" Skylar asks, raising her eyebrows.

"He told me last summer, at the beach party we went to before California."

"You all went to a party?" Crystal asks, looking at Skylar.

She waves her off. "I told Dad."

Crystal shoots me a look. I throw my hands up. "I don't remember her ever mentioning a beach party."

"Besides the point," Skylar says. "Josh has really liked me for five months now? And you haven't told anyone?"

"Oh, he has liked you for way longer than that. He told me it started around freshman year," Tristan responds.

Skylar looks dumbstruck, but honestly, it was pretty obvious that that kid had strong feelings for my daughter. He was like a little puppy, following her around.

She excuses herself after that and goes to her old room.

The next morning an eager Lucy wakes the whole house at six in the morning. I have flashbacks to when Skylar was that age. She treated every day like Christmas, waking up at the brink of dawn.

We open presents after breakfast, much to Lucy's dismay. Two cups of coffee later I'm helping Lucy open her array of gifts.

"So we're learning about family trees in school," Robert says as he opens another present, "and I'm very confused on the fact that Skylar has a different mom."

Damn Robert, why did you have to ask about this today? "I'll take care of this sweetie," I tell Crystal, kissing the top of her head.

"I'll come with you," Skylar stands up and follows us to the kitchen.

"First of all, mom is my mom, too. And I'm your sister," Skylar says.

"Yeah, but why is Trinity your "birth mom" and our aunt?" He puts air quotes around "birth mom" because he doesn't exactly know what that term means. We have yet had the other talk. Maybe I should get on that.

"Before I met your mother, I was in love with Trinity, and we had Skylar together, and I didn't know it for a while. I met your mother and we fell in love. When Skylar was one Trinity passed away, and your mother stepped in and helped me raise Skylar. At the time we didn't know she was Trinity's sister, or Skylar's aunt. Since your mom has been here, and has helped raise Skylar, the mom title is fitting."

"I love our mom like you love her. There's no difference," Skylar tells him.

Robert nods. "I understand."

"Good. Now let's go finish opening those presents."

When we get back in the living room, Crystal and Skylar share a hug and a few words.

"Are we going to grandma's now?" Tristan asks, already done opening his gifts.

"They're expecting us at noon, so no," Crystal responds.

"What abound Nana and Papaw, are they coming for the holidays?" Skylar asks about Crystal's parents.

"I don't think they're coming this year," she says sadly. I go to sit beside my wife and kiss her cheek.