20. No secrets.

Leah.

"Hey, sleepy head," My brother, Darius, greets, startling me. I place a hand on my chest and face him; he is seated on one of the bar stools around the dark island table in the kitchen.

"You scared me," I inform him and draw myself a chair to sit on.

"Scared you? Dramatic." He walks over to the cabinet and grabs two clear glasses, I watch as he pours us both some blood.

Blood for breakfast, how sweet?

He returns and offers me a cup, which I gladly take. I sip from it and close my eyes to take in its flavorful taste; it tastes like goat blood. Sure, having human blood would be nothing but satiating at the moment, but we do have principles around here. A deal was made with several leaders of the mortals that we would avoid feeding on them, so they let us settle here. We built a kingdom in this town and for once in centuries there was peace.

Not only among the humans and the vampires, but also the vampires and the wolves. Still, I hated them, my brother loathed them even more. I was probably the only person who could keep him at bay because he'd rip out their hearts if given the chance.

Darius is not a monster, and neither am I, but the death of our parents still hurts us both, and we want nothing but to avenge them. When the time is right of course, even when those who were left behind after the war between vampires and wolves; nearly seven hundred years ago—tried to convince us that our parents died a peaceful death. How can one die peacefully during the war?

All I know is the wolves murdered our parents and one day, I will be able to take my vengeance.

"You alright?" Darius asks, running a hand through his brown hair. This young man in front of me is only two years older than me, but he looks more like a man and is very responsible. He has a well-built figure; his coded biceps are now peeking from his dark muscle shirt. Just like me, his eyes are a deep brown and his lips are dark. We share the same skin color, which is a golden brown, something we got from our father.

"Yes," I say and take another sip from the cup. I try my best not to look at him, but I can feel his eyes on me. Scanning each and everything that I do to make sure I am alright. He is nosy, and I hate it, but I don't blame him for looking out and trying to protect his sister. I mean, it's just him and I left of our family.

"Where were you last night?" He inquires, and my stomach churns. Somehow, I still feel like it was all a bad dream, but it happened. It was real, and I still don't know how to understand any of that. Levi was right, Adam wanted to kill Ivy, and even my dear best friend was in on this.

The question was, why did they want her dead? What did she do? Did she cross them, or was it something deeper than what we all saw? I had to find out, but from whom because the way last night ended, I am not sure Eve and I are still best friends.

"Dude." Darius snaps his big fingers in my face and I look up at him. His brown eyes search mine for something, and I pray my brain gears something to say. It's hard to hide a thing from Darius, he always knows when something is wrong, I don't know how, but he does.

"School, had some homework," I mumble.

"Jaden was looking for you last night, were you two not together?"

I shake my head. "No, he left early."

"Are you sure you're alright?" He cocks his dark eyebrows.

I smile and let out a nervous chuckle in an attempt to be cool, but he sees right through me, and so I excuse myself. I need to be alone.

"I will be in my room," I say, walking up the staircase with a refiled cup of blood.

"I will make breakfast," he says, I'm not sure what his face looks like right now, but I don't turn to look at him, instead I give him a thumbs up and proceed to my room.

As soon as I get in, I close the door gently behind me and place the glass cup on my brown dresser. I stare at myself in the mirror for a moment; my brown hair is shabby, but it's nothing new, I always wake up like a freak. My face looks puffy, and I slap myself twice to put it into shape. My lips are red, and I lick the blood off them.

I sigh before grabbing my phone and unlocking it. The first person I want to call is Eve, but considering how last night ended, I decided against it. Still, I wonder if she is alright.

Last night, she was ready to attack me before Karen came to stop her. Then she carried Adam and without another glance back at me, they left. Would she pick up my calls? Was Adam doing fine now? Did Ivy attack Adam? What exactly happened?

The questions linger in my head and I immediately feel sick. With so much anger and rage, I dial the number of the only person who can give me answers. Reasons as to why this is happening to me, why he chose to give this burden to me.

I dial Levi's number and place the phone to my ear, while my eyes gaze at a distance in the woods. So green and dangerous yet a beautiful view from the massive window in my room.

"Leah," Levi speaks as soon as he picks up the phone.

"Levi, why me? Do you know that Adam is hurt? Do you know that Eve hates me now? She was ready to fight me last night all because of Ivy, why the hell did you ask me to do this? I cannot do it. I can't forsake my people to protect your human friend, how about you do it yourself?" I burst out as soon as I get the chance to speak.

"Whoa, slow down, buddy. Listen, I know you, Leah, that is why I asked you. I knew you wouldn't let me down. I could have asked Karen, but I figured she was on their side. I need you, and you need to do something for me," he explains.

"Oh, have I not done enough?!"

"I am leaving town, I need you to say bye to Ivy for me, I can't tell her now," he says.

My eyebrows marry. "Why are you leaving? So, things get tough and you just run? Are you insane? They will kill her!"

"I have you, Leah, you won't let anything happen to her, I trust you enough with her life. Just please, till I get back, keep her safe."

"You're fucking bizarre, you know that? I need to make peace with my people, and Ivy can wither for all I care!" I say and cut the line. My hands are into fists, and I am twitching with rage.

"Who was that on the phone?" Someone speaks from behind me and I know it is Darius. Fuck, it gets worse, if I tell him I betrayed my people to pay a favor to a wolf friend, he wouldn't be amazed.

"No one," I say and turn to face him.

"We promised each other, no secrets," he says calmly, walking further into the room.

"Dari-"

"Spill," he says, and I know there's no running away from this.