30. The Rehearsal Dinner.

Willow

She made peace with the fact that at some point during the trip, Zoey and Ryder would try to arrange for something to happen between her and Jace. They need a special errand done that only the maid of honor and best man can do. They didn't book enough rooms so they'd have to share. Whatever other cliches she's read in her romance books. She doesn't expect it to be something as subtle as giving the wrong time for the rehearsal dinner to allow them those few minutes to catch up alone.

She took her time getting ready tonight, longer than she's probably ever spent. The perfectionist in her came out. She couldn't choose a dress. She kept messing up her eyeliner. Her hair wouldn't cooperate. Everything that could go wrong was going wrong. But in the end, she somehow pulled it off. She knows she looks good and she's hell bent on seeing his face when he sees her.

Where are you??? She text Liam once she was ready and downstairs. The house was quiet.

Rehearsal dinner. Where are you?? He text back a second later.

That revelation, along with a single shower running upstairs, was ultimately what helped her put it together. At least it gave her the advantage of knowing first and she made use of that fact.

When Jace finally enters the kitchen and she sees him for that first time, she's not sure how she manages to play it so cool. Years and years of practice, yes, but she's also thought about this moment for two weeks now. It also helps that she feels much more confident in herself as a person now. She's faced criminals and the biggest douche bags the law and justice system have to offer. Nothing should be able to take her down.

He's as handsome as he was back in their school days. He's trimmed his hair a bit, yet he's still got some of it falling over his forehead. His eyes remain the same and yet they're different too. Still gentle, light, kind but at the same time, hard and experienced. He's got a slight shadow of a beard around his chin and lips. He's still inches above her and strong looking. The way he wears his suit reminds her of their parents wedding day.

She keeps herself calm, collected, and charming. She doesn't let on to everything going on beneath the surface. Thank god for the champagne. She plays up the flirting but also finds some balance with subtly. The goal is to keep him on his toes and always be 50 steps ahead.

They arrive to the restaurant hosting the rehearsal dinner. It's fancy because there's valet and they hand you boxes full of chocolates. There's a wall of glass with a view overlooking the ocean and darkened sky. Lights twinkle approve, giving a warm aura to the setting of tonight's scene. Everyone's already seated and having drinks when they enter.

William Shakespeare would have a field day with this evening.

"There you are!" Zoey calls from one of the tables. She has that guilty smile on her face and she knows that Will knows about her little plan. "You made it!"

"Yeah, thanks so much for ensuring I had a private ride over." Will's mumbles into her best friend's ear, bumping her arm playfully.

Jace and Zoey share a secret look before he hugs her. It makes Will wonder if he was also in on it.

"Hey, Ry," Will says as she moves to greet Ryder. He hugs her close and sets her down on her feet. "Alright, where am I sitting?"

"Ooh, Will, you're sitting here, next to Liam. And then Jace, you'll be next to Will on the other side." Zoey's eyes lift quickly to check Will's reaction.