Fifteen

Fifteen
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Izzy blinked, straining her eyes through the fine mist of drizzle that was obscuring her vision the moment she stumbled and slipped down the steps of the constable's office.

Dampness settled heavily on the fabric of her coat, a fine sheen of tiny droplets glistening as they caught the light of a nearby flickering oil lamp. She skidded to a halt, the soles of her flimsy shoes struggling to find purchase against the slick mud now caking the cobblestones. Darkness surrounded her and shadows loomed across the silent street, her breath misting as it expelled from her lips in quick, short bursts that reflected her agitation.

It was too late an hour and she was sure that she wouldn't be able to avail of a serviceable hackney, not that she had any coin with which to pay at any rate. Frustration bubbled up within her as she realised that all her useful possessions were still residing at Ravensfield- without her. Another problem she would have to solve.

Behind her, heavy, wet slaps against the stones signalled the arrival of the Beastkeeper who was currently the cause of a wealth of problems that were piling atop each other at an alarming rate.

Izzy ignored him and began to march down the street. Since there was no transport available, she would simply have to walk to her townhouse, which was several blocks away. It should take her less than an hour, she estimated, so long as no more interruptions-

"Miss... Hawkins!"

She grit her teeth and dismissed his summons, her fists clenching the now sodden fabric of her skirts and hefting them above her ankles. Already the hem was darkened and filthy with mud- not that she minded. The sooner she could rid herself of the awful garb, the better. Her steps lengthened and she bowed her head against the weather, quickening her pace as a bitter cold began to invade her limbs.

Some distance behind her originated a fluent stream of cussing, followed by the wet clop of hooves that grew drastically louder.

Well, Izzy conceded, she certainly couldn't outrun a horse.

Horse and rider slowed to a leisurely amble beside her, and even though she could feel Kaede's gaze burning into the side of her face, she refused to meet it.

She was cold and exhausted, and presently only a hot bath and a warm bed would make her change course.

"Miss Hawkins, our business is not yet concluded," the Beastkeeper intoned with an almost imperious thread in his voice that caused her some pause.

Izzy did look at him then, but did not alter her pace nor her route. Instead she gave him a glare and pushed forward harder, stomping through puddles, uncaring that mud and filth streaked her stockings and skirts. "I rather believe it is, Mr C'lainn," she told him haughtily. "You needn't concern yourself with me any further and return to your companions at Ravensfield."

"You are being stubborn," he told her through gritted teeth.

"No, I am being pragmatic," she corrected. A loose stone caught the heel of her shoe, sending her stumbling forward a few steps. Straightening, Izzy concentrated on her path rather than the vexing male at her heel. "I will continue home, and so will you, and we needn't cross paths again after this. I'll stay this side of London, and you can stay wherever you wish so long as it is yards away from myself and my sister." Following her words was a heart-rendering ache at the mere concept that this was her farewell to him- to the only male who had ever piqued her interest in such a heady way. But what other choice did she have? Her truths were revealed to him and she couldn't really conceive that he'd find her favourable still after her deceptions, and now that he knew of her past... that she wasn't a well-bred lady...