Forty-Four

*Content warning: this chapter deals with physical assault (on page) and darker themes (references to torture, beatings etc). 

Forty-Four

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

If Izzy had ever felt that Lewis Grant was a handsome gentleman in his prime, that impression was put to bed when she spied the enraged twisting of his countenance as he approached her and Lou. Anger permeated every inch of the gentleman's being, making his approach aggressively purposeful, and lined his face with unbecoming contortions that seemed more pronounced by a faint bruise on his jaw from not long ago, administered by herself and possibly her heartmate, too.

Her limbs froze and, as opportune a time as it was, Izzy recalled certain animals of prey doing exactly the same thing whenever they encountered a formidable predator.

Like the common basilisk lizard.

A curious creature, really-

"Your blade, Iz," Lou hissed from beside her as she curled her fingers into Izzy's wrist with a telling urgency.

It jolted her to action, at least, rather than freezing her in place as if ice had formed in the very veins of her limbs. She made to dip her waist so that she could extract the carefully sheathed blade from the ankle of her boot, but the appearance of yet more men from behind Grant as he marched towards her made her hesitate. Several guards- human, at least, yet heavily armed with pistols and truncheons- flanked the advancing gentleman.

The fact that he was accompanied by them confirmed two things in Izzy's mind. One, that he and his family were indeed the owners of the estate and conducting affairs within it and two... her hastily contrived plan had been very abruptly thwarted.

And the presence of the guards made her hesitate to use the enchanted blade. Perhaps if Lewis Grant himself alone had approached her, she would feel more at ease using the weapon. But several armed men well versed in apprehending individuals? In the fray, Izzy wasn't sure she would make any notable impact on their rank, and, furthermore, she didn't want to somehow inadvertently end up nicking her or Lou in the fight.

Rather, for now at least, she would allow Grant and his henchmen to believe that they were two unarmed and helpless women and issued her companion a succinct shake of her head that she hoped conveyed enough of her hesitance.

Especially seeing as they were essentially trapped, with the only exit being barred by the approaching men. Unless they took their chances with the cats, Thornshades, or the fire. So she didn't reach for the concealed weapon and instead allowed the seconds to pass until they were upon them.

"It's bad enough that you drugged and assaulted two of our guards, but did you honestly believe I wouldn't recognise you?" Grant hissed, latching onto Izzy's shoulders with a force that was sure to leave bruises on her flesh. Surrounding them, the other men, and one hovered close to Lou, taking her abruptly in hand. Four guards in total.

Though not many in number, they would surely overpower her and Lou- a risk that Izzy wasn't willing to take.

For now, she would curb the fear and terror beginning to eke into her being (or at least try to) and see what unfolded, if an opportunity presented itself that allowed her to utilize quick thinking. If her brain allowed it.

Presently, she wasn't confident that her mind could move past the acute panic overtaking everything else.

"No amount of costume, no matter how absurd, could hide your face," Grant went on, and then she was being dragged forward, back towards the stairwell that led to the lower levels of the house. "I knew you would come. Of course, it was inevitable, really, that you'd waste your efforts to save your... lover."