XIII. Step The Fuck Back

Chapter 13,
      Step The Fuck Back
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  It was very silent when the sun came up, the whole group didn't know what to say. Alaska replayed the moment in her mind, watching her girlfriend fall from the ladder and break her skull onto the pavement, it was a traumatic and chilling memory to play over and over again. 

  "I know how you feel." Mikaela whispered as she sat beside Alaska, placing her hand on top of her knee, trying to comfort the obviously traumatized girl.

 Alaska looked up from the ground and looked at Mikaela, no tears made an attempt to fill her eyes but her lip quivered. A weak and small smile grew slightly on her lips as she placed her hand on top of Mikaela, if anyone understood what it was like to lose a significant other, it would be Mikaela.

  "How long is it going to hurt?" Alaska asked, she didn't want her heart to hurt for longer than a day, she had to focus on surviving. 

  "That's a question that I can't answer, it's how deeply you felt for her, that can." Mikaela responded, there is no saying how long you're going to be sad and angry for.

 Daphne stood by the gates, smoking a cigarette, she tried to stay calm and keep her composure but inside, she was hurt. She stared straight into the alleyway, as the police officers continued to cover Aurora's body,  unaware of Danny walking up to her.

  "Hey. Are you doing okay?" Danny asked, Daphne turned around to face him and took a deep breath before masking her hurt expression with a cold one.

  It was like he saw right through though, Danny knew what was going through Daphne's mind, he grabbed her hand.

  "This is not your fault Daphne, you couldn't have known this was going to happen." Danny tried to comfort her, but it wasn't working.

 "But it is. Someone took our knives, so we had nothing to defend ourselves with. I don't know who I can trust anymore." Daphne explained as she looked over towards the ambulance, her heart shattered at the sight of Mika, Mikaela, Camden, and Alaska looking away from each other.

  Danny followed her eyes, he knew that Daphne was going to do everything in her power to keep them from harm. 

  "Then don't trust anyone. Don't trust your friends, and don't trust me. Not anyone." Danny walked closer to Daphne, and whispered in her ear.

  If she couldn't trust anyone, then she doesn't have to. Danny understood that, he wasn't going to be the one to bring down her wall and get her killed, instead he was going to build bigger and stronger wall for her, so she can keep her mind focused on surviving. Before Daphne could try to argue, a police officer took Danny away for some questioning, he was right though. She could not trust anyone.

  Camden kept checking in on his sister when he saw Miles walk towards them, he looked confused as to what was going on. Anger took over the boy as he walked over to Miles, grabbing him by his collar and slamming him into the police car near them.

  "Where the fuck were you?!" Camden shouted, Mika looked shocked at his outburst, considering he was never really that angry or violent. Not around them at least.

  "What? When?" Miles asked, his voice was wobbly, afraid of getting a black eye from his roommate.

  "Last fucking night!" Camden elaborated, to which Miles quickly told him he was at class, with a hundred other students.

 "I had Econ, you know this." Miles responded, as Camden was getting angrier by the second, he needs to take a moment to recollect his composure before everyone starts suspecting him.

 "Bullshit, you disappear and my sister almost gets fucking killed!" Camden wasn't letting up, his suspicions on his roommate was starting to grow.

  After a minute, he let the scared boy go, Camden knew he needed to calm down before he's taken away in handcuffs. Miles looked down the alleyway, noticing a body bag.

  "Oh my God.. Who?" Miles asked, as he looked towards the group.

 "Aurora and Riley." Camden responded as he walked back to his sister.

  Miles didn't know what to do, he went to one of his classes and now everyone thinks he's the killer. 

  "Alaska, I am so sorry." Miles began to apologize as he walked over to the injured girl, his facial expression was soft, he wouldn't even think about hurting someone, much less kill them.

  "Step the fuck back. You're at the top of my list asshole." Alaska responded as she glared at him, something isn't adding up, and Alaska was going to figure out what.

 Until she figures who the killer is, she will accuse and refuse to trust anyone who gives her a reason to, like Miles.