'she's a woman, not a trophy'

𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩-
𝘫𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦

word count - 2581
𝘦𝘹𝘵𝘳𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘬... 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘵 𝘈 𝘓𝘖𝘛.

"you girls mustn't embarrass me tonight, this could be big. i mean that" your father was tying his tie around his neck, under his shirt collar. his attention wasn't even on you, or your older sister, kiara. the two of you just nodded as you stood there, hair and makeup done, dressed in long dark dresses and trench coats to your ankles. though kiara's heels were bigger than yours so she could keep her height. she needed to make it obvious she was two years older.

your father worked in business affairs for a network. meaning he made deals with the agents and the writers. the three of you were going to dinner tonight with your father's boss, and a possible new client if all goes well.

you nor your sister had a place in these conversations, you were just brought along as an accessory. something to make your father seem like an approachable, down-to-earth man. you weren't to speak unless spoken to, nor were you meant to eat much either.

the two of you nodded as your father led his way to the door. you followed closely behind your sister. upon arrival at the restaurant, kiara took your hand in hers as you followed your father past all the tables toward a private room.

you and kiara always had each other. it was you two against the world, and it felt like it too. as you entered the room you exited from your coat and so did kiara. you exchanged 'hellos' and handshakes with your fathers' boss, mr. gomez. hanging your coats on your chairs as you took your seat on your sister's right, your father on her left.

you were staring off into space when your father and mr. gomez rose from their seats. your gaze followed theirs to look at the archway entrance of the room. there stood a short brunette girl, and next to her was a man you assumed was a creative artists agency representative. she walked in, smiling and laughing.

"ms. ortega, a pleasure," your father greeted her with a handshake. mr. gomez was next, repeating almost the same thing. their attention quickly turned to the representative. the woman made her way to the seat across from you and kiara. you exchanged smiles as she scooted herself into the chair.

"you two look to be about my age, so there's no way you're lawyers. what are you doing here?" she switched her gaze between you and kiara. you just looked down at your plate that you were yet to touch.

"mr. l/n is our father, didn't eat dinner yet. i'm kiara, kiara l/n." kiara smiled sweetly, shaking the brunette's hand as she introduced herself. she was much better at pretending this wasn't forced than you were. "this is my sister, y/n l/n. please pardon her she doesn't talk much," you looked up at the girl, smiling as well. your gaze shifted to anything else when she smiled back.

"jenna ortega. i'm hoping this deal goes well, i really want this job," jenna's smile was cheekier than yours. she seemed to be full of life and that was just your first impression.

the representative sat directly across from your father, mr. gomez was at the head of the table. once everyone sat down, kiara spared you a glance. that was your cue to place your napkin on your lap and stiffen your posture. 

"yes, the men will take a steak, rare. and a bottle of your finest wine. my two girls here will have your caesar salad. and jenna, what would you like?" mr. l/n looked up from his menu toward the woman. she smiled before creating an answer.