Chapter 9: The Investigation- Part Two

Content Warning: This chapter has a bit of blood and a small amount of violence in it. It's nothing drastic but just letting you all know. Please be aware and take care of yourselves accordingly :)

Chapter 9: The Investigation- Part Two

Carenza looked up from her phone and gave them a pleading look before speaking out loud. "Listen. I really want to help. Not to be mean or anything, but you guys are not equipped for this specific entity. You're really good at what you do, but this is new for you. I need you to do whatever I ask when we go back in there. No hesitations or that thing will win. I swear on my life that the things I'm about to say or do are for all our own good. I need you to trust me. Please."

The boys looked at each other, gathering their courage. A silent agreement passed among them. "Okay. We promise. But please take yourself into account too."

"I promise too." Carenza held out her pinky finger for the others to grab onto with theirs. They shook on it, looking resolute.

"Alright. Let's go back in there and win this battle." said Ryan with grim determination.

"Okay," said Carenza, giving a small grin before she jogged to the refrigerator in Jay's kitchen and grabbed an egg from a carton before catching up to the rest of them.

The group walked back through the door one by one, with Carenza bringing up the rear. She handed the egg to Wyatt, who placed it carefully in a heavy pot with a lid and set it on the floor near the chair Ryan had been in. Carenza paused in the doorway to take her necklace off and hand it over to River, who put it in his pocket.

"Alright, let me get set up here." She sat herself on the chair and took a deep breath. "Remember to do exactly what I ask, even if say knock me out or something, okay?"

Ryan nodded, handing her the noise-canceling headphones. "You ready for this?"

"Are you?" she asked in return, laying the headphones in her lap. "We've already started, so we might as well finish. The signal to do what we talked about is me snapping my fingers one time. Cool?"

"Yeah. I'm not backing down now. This thing has to pay for what it did to my brother." Ryan clenched his fists.

"Careful what you wish for. Words carry a lot of weight at the moment," Carenza advised. She sat forward in the chair so her feet would be flat on the floor, grounding her for when she couldn't see.

"We gotta stay calm, remember? Our emotions can feed a situation and make this more difficult." Wyatt put a calming hand on Ryan's shoulder, trying to help him chill out.

"You're right, I know. It's just that I'm used to being excited during investigations, no matter how keyed up or scared I get." Ryan took a deep breath in through his nose and out of his mouth, effectively bringing his mood down a notch.

River did something similar from his position on Carenza's other side. He was very nervous, knowing how scary it was to nearly be possessed by this thing. He did not want her to experience it. The only thing he could do was concentrate on keeping calm and filming as best he could. There were two static cams set up to capture more angles as well, but that was beside the point. Filming helped River stay calm and focused. He knew he couldn't help if he was an emotional mess.

"Okay guys, I'm going under. Remember to stay calm, ask good questions, and trust me. It'll all be over soon." Carenza put her handkerchief blindfold on and then the headphones over her ears.

Ryan turned on the spirit box and made sure she couldn't hear anything, then asked, "First question: Is there anything we can do to persuade you to leave the premises peacefully?"