Chapter 18: Madeline

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty. You can also read ahead of my new stories Destined, Shattered Souls, and The King's Lost Queen plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 1906

SHE WAS IN a foggy expanse

SHE WAS IN a foggy expanse. There wasn't a single sound other than her harsh breathing.

Her eyes whirled around the area, hoping to catch sight of something. She had no idea where she was—if this was real or not. Madeline racked her brain for her last memory but came up blank. Where the fuck was she?

Then a horrible thought occurred: was she dead?

Did she somehow die? Perhaps she had been hit by a car. Or maybe she fell asleep and never woke up?

Panic seized her heart, causing her knees to wobble. She nearly collapsed to the ground until a cold, thin hand grabbed onto her forearm, jolting her. Whiling around, she came face to face with an all too familiar face.

"Mom?" She asked in a mere whisper, perplexed.

Why was her mom here? Was she dead too? Had they both gotten into some kind of accident?

"W—what are you doing here?" She stuttered, failing to comprehend what was happening. Why were thoughts so muddled? Why couldn't she remember where she was?

"Why did you do it?" Her clipped voice sliced through the silence. Larisa Jones was never one to beat around the bush. She barely spoke but when she did, she chose her words carefully. She pinned down Madeline's stare with her cold brown orbs. Internally, Madeline shuddered. She felt neither hot nor cold physically but emotionally, her mother's stare was enough to freeze her insides.

Madeline's throat went dry. She knew what her mother was referring to. The soul suppressants.

"I—"

"You want to be like me," She stated, matter of factly.

"What?" Madeline breathed, furrowing her brows. "I—I don't understand."