Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

Ch 21: Acceptance

Werewolf.

No matter how many times the word echoed in her head in the last day it still sounded wrong. As the storm faded from a raging blizzard to a gentle dusting of snow, she couldn't even form the word on her tongue. No matter how hard she tried to deny it, there was no way to unring that bell.

I'm turning into a werewolf.

Appetite gone, Kiya pushed the bowl of preserved fruits and stewed oats away. Two seconds later, Red slid it back and gave her a stern look. "Eat," he told her. "I let it go yesterday, but I need you to get better."

It wasn't worth the energy to argue, so Kiya shoved another spoonful into her mouth. The whole team was watching her, only adding to the painful twisting in her stomach and making it all the harder to swallow. "You still look a little pale," Elise said with an anxious bite of her lip. "Are you sure you should be out of bed already?"

"Already?" Quintin joked. "Two plus days wasn't enough?"

"I'm just saying-"

Before Elise could finish, Rick clapped a hand on Kiya's shoulder. "We're just glad to see you back on your feet, lieutenant." There was relief in his voice, and Julien was nodding in silent agreement. "You scared the shit out of us."

"Thank you," Kiya said quietly. Her throat still felt thick and raw no matter how much water she drank. "And I'm sorry for how I was acting before. I haven't been myself lately, but it's no excuse for my behavior."

She made sure to meet Rick's eyes when she said her apologies, and he returned it with a nod and a smile.

But she wasn't sorry. She didn't regret threatening him for a second, and given the chance, would do it again. All over a joke that really wasn't any worse than anything else he'd said over the years. Was hypersensitivity a symptom of the curse?

It still felt strange and uncomfortable to lie to her squad mates. It was necessary, though, to keep the peace. To put them at ease and lower any lingering suspicions they had about her sudden illness. And while Rick was accepting her apology, Red was still watching her intently. "Maybe one of us should stay back," he offered. "I don't like the idea of leaving you alone right now."

"You already promised to help the town after the storm," Kiya shook her head. "I'll be fine. Besides, I won't be alone. August is here in case something happens."

At the mention of the innkeeper, Red's lip curled, and he shot a sideways glare at the kitchen door. He didn't say anything, but he didn't need to. At some point, for some reason he wasn't saying, his opinion of August had gone completely south. Why? What happened while she was unconscious? Or did he just hate the thought of something happening again?

"I'll take it easy, I promise," she assured the whole team, though aiming the words at Red in particular. "I'm just going to finish those reports and get them sent out on the next courier. They're late enough as it is."

"We're as far north as north can get," Red argued. "The masters have forgiven late reports before. They will do so again."

"So, I can't do the reports. On our own medic's orders, I can't help with digging the town out of the snow. I've slept enough to last the net week. What am I supposed to do all day then, Red? Fucking knit you all matching scarves? Or would that be too strenuous?"

The others were snickering while Red scowled, and his ears turned pink.

"I'm your lieutenant," she continued earnestly. "Let me be your lieutenant."

Their eyes met, and all the strife and tension that had been building between them since their arrival in Silverkeep faded away. Kiya felt like she was looking at her brother again. His chest deflated in a sigh. "Fine. I guess you have a point."