52. Tangled Hearts

Dwarka stood restored after months of labor and Devashree also had made significant strides in her recovery, with her strength returning more each day.

There was only one problem. Her family was treating her with a delicacy that sometimes bordered on suffocation.

As Devashree gingerly tested her healed leg in the garden one sunny morning, Vasudev approached with a furrowed brow.

"Devashree, perhaps you should rest," he suggested gently, offering his arm as a support.Devashree took his arm more out of respect than need and smiled.

"Pitashree, I feel much better, really. The healers have assured me that walking will aid my recovery."

Vasudev nodded, but his eyes remained laced with concern. "Of course, Putri. But do not overexert yourself. Let us not forget how fragile life can be."

Another afternoon, as Devashree reached out to pick a flower, Devaki quickly stepped in to assist her.

"Let me do that, my dear. You should take care not to bend too much."

Devashree accepted the flower with a gentle nod, hiding her mild frustration behind a patient smile.

"Thank you, Maa, but I must try to do some things by myself."

Nearby, Rohini discussed the arrangements for the festival but kept her eyes fixed on Devashree. As usual she was quick to intervene at the slightest hint of discomfort or fatigue on Devashree's face.

"Oh, look at you, moving around already! But you shouldn't exert yourself too much," Rohini chimed in, her maternal instincts in full swing as she approached with a cushioned chair. "Here, why don't you sit down for a while?"

"Rohini Maa is right. You've been on your feet quite enough for today. Sit down and let me tell you about the new training drills I've implemented in the army." Before Devashree could protest, Balram had joined in, his voice booming gently across the courtyard.

And then there was Krishna, the most protective of all.

His eyes rarely strayed far from Devashree, his presence a constant shadow by her side. As she settled into the chair, Krishna kneeled beside her, his hand taking hers.

"Shree, I know you want to regain your strength, but let's not rush things. The city is safe, and the people are happy. You don't need to push yourself so hard."

As days turned into weeks, Devashree's progress was evident to all. She began to walk more confidently, though still under the watchful eyes of her family.

One night, draped in a dark shawl that blended with the night, Devashree silently slipped out of the chambers she shared with Krishna, her footsteps whisper-light on the cool marble floors as she made her way to the palace gardens.

Taking advantage of the quiet and solitude, she made her way slowly down the path.

She felt the grass beneath her feet, felt the cool night air touching her face, and sighed in pleasure. She had missed this so much.

Inside their chamber, Krishna woke to find the bed beside him empty.

Panic fluttered in his chest as he called out softly, "Shree?"

There was no response; the sheer curtains billowed slightly with the night breeze, the only sound in the otherwise silent room. His heart raced as he hurriedly threw on a robe and stepped into the cool corridor, calling for the guards as he moved.

"Has anyone seen the queen?" he demanded, his voice tight with worry.

The guards, startled by the urgency in his voice, shook their heads. "No, my lord, we have not seen her since she retired to her chambers," one replied.