03

Immediately, I could tell Milo kept himself hidden on the city streets. While we drove slowly, he somehow managed to avoid the patrols. Maybe being a hybrid worked to his advantage. Could he see their routes? Was there electronic feedback in the air?

For hours, we kept close to buildings, maneuvering behind them, and avoiding the androids. Each time I saw a group of androids, panic gripped my heart. Their metal skeletons shined as if glowing in the sunlight; paired with their stolen, government rifles, they derived from nightmares.

Yet, we made it to the skirts of Chicago, bordering the state line, where the neighborhoods blended into Indiana. This was where Milo brought the car to a complete stop beside a fully intact garage beside a small house, partially destroyed, barely hanging together with its pipes and burned drywall. I eyed the cracked television in the exposed living room, at the fireplace mantle that remained upright without its connecting wall. I frowned, thinking of the family who lived here. I prayed they were alive somewhere.

"Ready to camp?" Milo reached for his duffle bag, pulling it between us. He unzipped the side and peered inside of it. "You can get the sleeping bag and stuff, I'll just—"

I looked around. There weren't many trees and those that were in the streets were scarce and spread, none connecting like wooded area. When I thought of camping, I picture a forest reserve with tents. "Where are we setting up?"

"The garage," he said without missing a beat.

"What?" I quickly looked at him. "That's not what I imagined."

He snorted, zipping the bag closed. "Did you think of trees or something?"

I bit my cheeks. "Maybe?"

He grinned and slowly shook his head. He stepped out of the cat, closed and locked the door, and made his way over to me with the same speed. Admittedly, I didn't mind. I didn't realize that besides his physical appearance and aura drawing me in, his movements did, too. The swagger, the charisma; each step around the car dripped with it.

My side door swung open and his hand followed, fingers wiggling for me to take hold. "We're not out of the city yet, Nadia. We'll get to trees soon enough. Until then, garages it is."

Warm crept up my arm as our hands touched. He pulled me out onto the sidewalk, placing me against the car so I didn't lose balance as I tried to stand on one foot. He was close as he turned the key into the door. Closer as he took my backpack from me. "It's better this way," he said. "We stay in the same space together, if they find us, I can protect you."

My heartbeat quickened as butterflies swarmed in my belly. He didn't say anything outrageous; it made sense. It was safer to be side by side than separated. In my current state, I'd be a sitting duck waiting for the androids to fire their rifles.

"Come on." He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the garage. "Let's get comfortable."

I followed him inside. The space was open with minimal damage. There were shelves on the floor that looked like they were once attached to the wall. A canister of paint had rolled near the gated door. There was a toolbox on its side with every item belonging to it scattered in the surrounding area. There were lots of dark spots and I was glad it was oil, not blood. I didn't need to find shelter in a place where the death occurred.

Milo tossed the bag to his feet and rummaged inside. He pooled out a blanket and a mesh pouch, which I assumed was the sleeping bag, and put those beside him. He grabbed a flashlight next.

I hobbled over to the single-folded lawn chair in the corner. I plopped down with a huff. Folding hands together, I watched him. "There is just one of everything in there." I pointed at the bag with my lips.