04

Milo pushed his foot onto the gas pedal and floored it. The androids hesitated, straightening as they lowered their weapons. Before the car reached them, they dodged to the side and avoided impact. We were down the alley and around the corner before they clambered to their feet and rushed for us. Their heavy, running footsteps echoed as Milo sped down the street.

"Woo!" he cheered, gripping the steering wheel.

I turned in my seat. I held onto the headrest, staring wide eye out the broken window at the running androids. Though my heart pounded, nearly exploding in my chest, I laughed, open mouth, whooping along with Milo. The androids raised their rifles again mid-run. I ducked.

Bullets hit the back of the car as Milo sped down a main street. He leaned back in his seat. "They can shoot all they want and won't get us." He looked back at the broken window. "Hear that, motherfuckers!?"

They had to. The androids stopped and peered at us with their glowing red eyes. This was perfect. They'd stay there as we escaped.

"Oh, shit," Milo hissed.

I looked at him, then looked ahead. While there were two androids behind us, there were six ahead of us, blocking the road with their steel bodies. I held my breath. This isn't happening, I've never seen them act like this.

"Okay, Tracey," Milo whispered to the steering wheel, "I'mma need you to hold it together, use the gas you need, and get us out of here."

I turned my wide eyes at him. "Are you talking to the car?!"

"Hey," Milo leaned back, "Tracey's more than just a car."

He forced his foot down on the gas pedal again and the car engine revved, increasing in speed. Milo leaned back and so did I. I gripped the armrest on my left and the seat handle on my right. Unexpectedly, I pulled it and my chair flung back into laying position. I screamed. All I could see was the ceiling.

"Stay like that!" The car sharply turned to the right. "Stay down!" The car increased in speed again, hurrying forward, before swiftly turning to the right. My body shook and swayed with the motions, all while Milo growled. "You're not catching us, not here, not now. We're out this bitch."

I squeezed my eyes shut and it felt like the car lifted off the ground for a second. My stomach floated with it. My jaw dropped just as the car hit the street and kept on rolling. "Hold on tight, Nadia!" Milo shouted.

"What's happening?!" I cried, afraid to look at anything.

"Just a little Mad Max—" The car swerved. He hastily braked. Four honks and a tire screech, the car moved. Forward. Faster. Milo growled again. "—Just a little Jackass."

"What the fuck are those?!" I peered at him with one eye, tears rimming the edge.

He looked at me and gave me the calmest smile I'd ever seen. "Just the classics, baby."

My eyes snapped open. We sharply turned again and the sounds of running androids, firing rifles, and mechanical gear stopped. All that filled my ears was the car's engine and my pounding heart. Milo laughed victoriously. "Woo! Just the classics, baby," he repeated.

I heard him but my ears hung on one word. Baby.

***

I didn't know how long we drove past the mayhem before I sat up. We were well out of the city and onto the broken highway. Milo slowed the car to a mellow speed, gently weaving around the vehicles abandoned mid-travel. I managed to grip the seat's handle and rose it back to its regular position. "We're alive," I breathed.

Milo chuckled, a finger on his lip. "Why wouldn't we be?"

I looked at him. "Androids. They chased us. They shot at us."