Chapter Two

Nurse Kinsley's P.O.V.
3 weeks after Sophie was adopted, I received a call from her new parents. I began to worry. I'm supposed to visit them in a week to see how things are going. I answer the phone. 'Hello?' I ask. 'Hello Nurse Kinsley, it's me Casey.' 'Hi Casey, is everything alright?' I ask. 'Everything is fine, I just wanted to call to see when you were coming for a check. We've been spending an awful lot of time out with our angel and wouldn't want to miss you.' She says. 'Um it will most probably be Tuesday or Wednesday.' I say. 'That's great. I just wanted to call and ask.' Casey says. 'How is Sophie?' I ask. 'Well she's still not entirely settled with Toby yet but me and her are getting on fine. She lets me feed her and change her but she's not keen on being bathed.' Casey explains. 'So no problems?' I ask. 'Not really no.' Casey says. I sigh a breath of relief. Maybe Sophie can settle down after all. 'We are planning a small party since she's 6 months old next week, probably the Tuesday.' She says and I can hear the smile. 'You're welcome to come.' 'Thank you I might just do that.' I say. 'Well gotta go, it's time to feed my precious.' Casey sings and hangs up. I smile wide and get ready for Dr Cullen, he's come to check on another child. 'Hello Carlisle.' I smile. 'Hello Audrey.' I lead him to the child. It's a 6 year old little boy. 'Hello there.' Carlisle says. 'Hi doctor.' Oscar grins. 'What's the matter today?' Doctor asks. 'Nurse Kinsley says I have a fever and I don't feel good.' Oscar says. Carlisle places his hand on Oscar's forehead. 'You are a little warm.' He takes his thermometer and then stands back. 'He just has a fever, a few days rest should be fine. Give me some of this to help keep it down.' He hands me a bottle. 'Thanks doctor.' Oscar grins. We leave the room and I turn to Dr Cullen. 'Sophie's new parents seem really happy with her.' I smile. 'That's good.' He says. 'Has she settled with them?' Carlisle asks. 'With Casey, yes but not Toby yet.' I explain. 'Are you going for the month visit soon?' 'Tuesday as Sophie's 6 months old. They're having a party.' 'That's nice. They must really like her.' 'They seem too.'
~
It's Sunday, Sophie's little party is in 2 days. I'm sitting doing paperwork when I get a phone call. 'Hello?' 'Nurse Kinsley?' A tired voice asks. 'Yes, who's speaking?' I ask. 'It's Casey Devlin.' The voice says. 'Oh hi Casey. Is everything alright? You sound tired.' I point out. 'I am.' She sighs. 'I'm sorry Nurse Kinsley but I can't take care of Sophie anymore.' She says on the verge of crying. 'What? Why?' I ask. 'I'll explain everything when I get there.' She says and hangs up. Will there ever be a break for that baby girl? A little while later, Casey arrives. I lead her into my office and sit her down. 'So what happened?' I ask, sadly. 'She just wouldn't take to Toby. Every time he went to hold her she'd cry. He couldn't take it anymore. She then just wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep or anything.' Casey sighs. 'I regret having to give her up but she needs a mom and dad. I'm so sorry.' She stands up to leave after signing some forms. She kisses baby Sophie on the head and leaves quickly. I scoop the little angel into my arms and cradle her. Her little lip begins trembling and tears fill in her eyes as small whimpers erupt from her throat and then she cries. The door then opens and Dr Cullen enters. 'Nurse Kinsley?' He calls. 'I'm here Dr Cullen.' I call back. He walks into my office and smiles but when he sees my face, he rushes over. 'What's wrong?' He asks. I turn Sophie to face him and her little eyes light up. She makes grabby hands at him and he frowns. 'I thought she was adopted?' He asks. 'They returned her.' I croak. Carlisle takes Sophie from me. 'Why?' He asks. 'She wouldn't take to Toby and it nearly broke them up.' I explain. Carlisle cuddles Sophie for awhile before seeing to another child then leaving.
~
Carlisle's P.O.V.
When I heard that Casey and Toby had returned Sophie to the orphanage it broke my heart. It's really hurt to know someone had returned her yet again. I walk in the door to my home and head upstairs. I let out a deep sigh and Alice smiles sadly. 'Sophie was returned?' She asks and I nod. 'You'll make the right decision, Carlisle.' Alice says then leaving. 'You will.' Rosalie says. Emmett nods at me and follows the other 2 out. Edward is not insight which is normal for him. I sit beside Esme and wrap an arm around her. 'What do you think?' I ask. 'About Sophie?' Esme asks. I nod. 'Well you say she settled for you?' She asks and I nod again. 'Well maybe we could adopt her?' She suggests. 'Do you think that'd be a good idea?' I ask. 'If think we should ask the family.' Esme says. I nod and stand up. I walk up to Rosalie and Emmett in their room. 'Family meeting.' I say. They nod and head downstairs. I walk into Alice and Jasper's room. 'We're having a family meeting.' I say. Alice smiles and leads Jasper down the stairs. I walk out into the hallway and Edward comes down. 'I heard.' He says. I walk downstairs with Edward following behind. We all meet in the living room and I walk over to Esme. 'How would you guys feel if we adopted a baby?' I ask. 'Sophie?' Rosalie asks. I nod. 'I'm all for a baby around the house.' Rose says. 'Me too.' Emmett says. I nod my head, glancing at Esme. 'I'm seen a vision of her Carlisle. You need to adopt her.' Alice says. 'No. Once she grows up she'll be a liability.' Edward says. 'Edward has a point. What if I can't hold back?' Jasper says. 'You will Jasp. I've seen it. You're gonna love her.' Alice says. 'Really?' Jasper asks. Alice smiles wide. 'Well as long as I knew that I wouldn't hurt her then yeah.' He says. Edward gives Alice a look, signalling he's read her thoughts. 'Will she really be able to keep our secret?' Edward asks. Alice glances at me then Jasper before turning to Edward. 'Yes.' 'Will we have to turn her when she reaches a certain age?' Esme asks. 'No. I won't change her.' I state. 'It would be nice to have a baby around.' Esme says, taking my hand. I smile down at her. Let's hope this works out. But I vow to myself that I shall not let her be changed. 'I have one rule.' I start. Everyone looks at me expectantly. 'Sophie must not know about us. Not until she at least understands everything.'