Chapter 13

"After I ran away, parting from my love, I went on walking and walking. I didn't know where I was going but I went where my legs took me. All I knew that we had somehow managed to escape the tight security and we promised to part ways and take that drug so that they wouldn't catch us.

         And then we walked in two separate directions. I knew I was never going to meet her until something goes wrong." His eyes were constantly kept to the glossy floor as he continued, his face screwed up with the hurt and guilt. "As I knew that I was at a safe distance from the lab, my thoughts were clouded with only her in my mind and I had the deepest urge to go back and take her in my arms.

          But I couldn't because our promise had held us strong. Being in such deep thoughts, I walked right in the middle of the road and I felt something hit me before I blacked out in the intense pain I felt on my side, cracking a few bones."   

        Both, Kitty and you, were listening intently and you see something. You see his eyes glistening with tears as he was reliving each moment that he went through without that drug.

         Obviously the pain must've been worse compared to what she had gone through. You wiped his tears with your thumb and then put your hand over his arm that was wrapped around you but that didn't snap him out of the trance he held himself in and continued.

         "When I woke up, I found myself under the care of these nuns who lived by the church and were responsible of a small but a popular orphanage. They had bandaged my wounds and scars and told me not to move as I had broken a few ribs and claimed that it was in God's Grace that I was even alive.

           They also told me that I had been a part of a car accident and that they did not even stop to check what happened to me after I had been hit and apologized that they couldn't take me to a proper hospital or even give me proper care but I knew that the love and care they had spared was enough for me."

He gave a sad yet a forced smile.

Usually he was so happy and bubbly. It was so hard to believe that sadness had once been a part of his life but only you knew the pain that had truly affected your life in the lab. But outside those barriers, you knew nothing that had happened with him.

           "Due to my talents, I began healing very fast but not fast enough and everyone around me noticed at that time but no one said a word and only believed it was because of God's Grace."

          "After I healed properly and was awarded my freedom, I decided to stay and volunteer to help in the orphanage. As it is they needed a lot of help, plus I had no where to go as well as nothing to do. So I thought I might as well stay."

And then the little happiness of those memories that had awarded him his freedom was sensed in his tone. But the fact that he was punished by the forced absence of you was also shown in his gesture.

           "So I stayed behind and did the chores I was given, but each time my thoughts only diverted to her and my heart was aching to go back. I was drowning and dying in burning desire but I knew I had to stay away if I wanted my baby safe."

He paused for a moment to adjust his position, shifting closer and wrapping his arm around you shoulder. But kitty and you were so sucked into the story that you didn't bother to move. Restlessness  is an attribute of humans. And you all were far from that. 

          "One day, I remembered the drug I still had and thought it was the only way to keep me in control. There was no other option. And I was stubborn enough not to change my mind. But the sermon that took place that day told me one thing. That there was no point of living if there is no hope."