Chapter 2: Monsters

Momma is here, Reapers! (My new DIMBFFLAD Rewritten trailer attached to the first chapter!)

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed and leave lots of feedback for me to read! <3333333333

xoxo

Kat

* * *

"You will steal something for me," Ahrimad said. "And in return, I will owe you a favor. Perhaps a way out of Death's contract?"

A contract that I haven't even signed yet–

"But you will sign it," Ahrimad cut off my train of thoughts, which I now realized he could read. Now would have been a great time to develop some sort of telepathic wall with my unreliable powers. "You will sign it as soon as possible, actually. Because if you don't, you will drop dead when the clock strikes twelve on Hallows Eve. You value your life more than you fear the repercussions of signing your soul to him." 

"I don't know if you've realized," I began, motioning to a very brain-dead, soulless, yet lethal Death next to me. "But Death isn't exactly in the condition to give me a contract at the moment."

"Ah, but you're so uninformed, little one." Ahrimad flashed me a nasty smirk. "If Death is unable to reach his body then all rights go to Lucifer. He will promptly offer you the contract, and if you don't sign it, then, well..." He slid a finger across his neck. "Think about it, do you really want Lucifer the Almighty to have possession of your soul? Your life is very unfortunate, Faith. Don't make it even more pitiful."

"Wow, I'm feeling really good about myself right now," I replied sarcastically and crossed my trembling arms over my chest. Hopefully I appeared more nonchalant than scared shitless. "What would you want me to steal, anyway? Laundry detergent?"

"The Book of the Dead."

"You want that thing, too?"

"It's not a thing, it's the most powerful and ancient enchanted scripture in the world," he hissed out. "I need it. And a little birdie told me that your aunt has possession of it. I can't just steal it myself, or I would. Lucifer has bonded with the damn human."

"Lucifer bonded with my aunt?" An awful feeling settled in my gut and I shivered. "Oh, come on. Gross. He didn't, like..." I formed a circle with two fingers and poked a single finger through it.

Ahrimad gave me a dry look. "You are wasting my time and yours."

"What happens if I don't agree to this?"

"Then I will get the book the hard way." The Grim Reaper's scythe glowed to life again in Ahrimad's hand. He looked up at the massive mirror on the ceiling of the ballroom. It began to swirl with black, milky liquid. "And I'm afraid, my dear, you will start a war."

The black firewalls around us caved in, as if a force had been thrown into it. Ahrimad's eyes widened slightly, but then he hitched his attention back to me and slipped back into his nonchalant façade. "If you value your life and the people in this room's lives, then agree to my offer." There was another fissure in the wall and he grew more urgent. "Right now."

Another thunderous blast went through the black fiery wall that was so powerful I nearly fell into Death's corpse. Tendrils of purpose electricity tangled around the black flames, creating fissures in the circle. Ahrimad lunged towards me, but magic quickly poured through the fissures and protected me in a cocoon of sorts that singed his skin and knocked him back. Through the remains of the black fiery circle, I could see Ace with his staff outstretched towards the flames. He was breaking down the barrier and protecting me.