Chapter 13: Seven Deadly Sins

SORRY FOR THE DELAY IN THE DOUBLE UPDATE, IT HAD TO BE PERF.

xoxo

Gossip Death

* * *

FAITH

We walked in a comfortable silence down the hallway. I was noticing Leo liked to walk from place to place instead of transporting.

"I've known Death a long time," Leo finally said. "His affect was completely off before."

I knew exactly what he meant. Death was not happy when he'd seen me with Leo and he'd come off as too nonchalant. My guess was he didn't want to make it obvious how jealous he was. "What do you mean?" I asked conversationally.

Leo glanced over at me, amber eyes dimming, and then looked ahead again. "Never mind."

About thirty strangers stared at me as Leo and I slid into the room. The den was much livelier than my Ikea bedroom and sported a massive glossy television; warn down brown leather couches and beanbag chairs, a pool table, a dartboard and a pinball machine. Against the one wall was a long bar with eccentric looking drinks being prepared. Upbeat music played at a decent from all sides of the room. Along another wall was popcorn machine and food a table with various food items. Sandwiches, Doritos, Cheetos, red vine candy, sodas and water...

I stuck out like a sore thumb, still dressed in Death's Chicago Bears jersey and sweatpants. But honestly, I didn't care enough to ask Leo if I could have a change of clothes. I had nobody to impress. Leo led me around the room and introduced me to people. Most of the guests looked human, but when I squinted my eyes a little, I could see their illusions flickering over them. These people weren't as horrifying as the guests at the D & S fundraiser ball.

We came to a group of men who appeared to be waiting for us. I gawked at them. All of them were all strikingly handsome, dressed in all black with different vibrant, alien colored eyes straight out of a Crayola crayon box. Each of those men gave off something tangible in the air that I couldn't quite place. It was cold and chilling, like a finger lightly pressed against my spine. As I tried to focus on it, my thoughts suddenly went to Death. I'd felt the same way around him many times before. It was the feeling of being was inspected by a predator, but not hunted.

"Faith," Leo began, snapping me out of my thoughts, "these are six of Death's seven primary reapers. Seven, including me."

"Seven Reapers of the Seven Deadly Sins." The handsome man with the pink Mohawk took over, raking me with his gaze. "But I'm pretty sure there's an eighth sin just for looking at you, you exquisite little treat."

I scowled at him. "And a ninth for when I wedge my foot up your ass," I said.

"Wowza." Pink Mohawk backed up a few steps, sized me up again, and blew into a birthday noisemaker. "You're a dangerous little thing. I think I'm in heat."

"Faith, meet Romeo," Leo began in an annoyed voice. "His sin is Lust. I won't be letting him within six feet of you. You might catch something with an itch." The reapers chuckled and Leo gently turned me by the shoulders, towards the reaper stuffing sandwiches in his mouth. "That's Gunner."

"Gluttony?" I guessed.

"Yep," Gunner said and waved at me with a red vine candy, which was snatched away from the man next to him.

The thief had tattoos all down his exposed arms and sported gelled back black hair. He ripped at the red vine candy with his teeth and nodded at me. "Call me Wolf," he muttered.