The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 11]

This book is available for purchase on amazon.com as an ebook. 

Chapter 11

Ryder led Ingrid to a small room of the hallway on the first floor. There was a Grand Piano in the corner, along with a guitar and lounge chairs dispersed throughout. "Do you play?" Ingrid asked, pointing at the piano.

"Yah," Ryder grinned sheepishly, "This is my favorite room, next to my own room, of course. I come here a lot to relax."

Ingrid scrunched up her nose and smiled, "That's awesome. I'm not very musically inclined; I tend to sing all the wrong notes. Can't even manage the ABC's on tune."

He laughed softly, "That's alright, as long as you can listen." He sat down on the piano and started playing softly, letting his fingers fly over the keys. It was as if they had a mind of their own, weaving a melody so sweet and bitter. The song spoke of trials and tribulations combated by anger and remorse. He ended on a bittersweet note that hung in the air precariously.

"That was beautiful," Ingrid whispered after a moment. Ryder truly had a talent for writing stories with his music. She wandered away from the piano slowly, biting her lip nervously. "Ryder?"

"Yes," he said in an amused tone from behind her.

Ingrid turned around to face him, "Why did you want to talk to me?"

He looked at her intensely and blurted, "I didn't bring a woman back from the cabin." He ran a hand nervously through his mahogany hair, "I couldn't stop thinking about you, and I didn't want anyone else there." Ryder gave her a tortured look when she didn't respond. "I know technically you're Paxton's woman because he's the one that brought you here, but I believe that you have a choice who you want to be with."

Ryder started to pace in front of her, "I know you don't know me very well, nor I you, but I would really like to get to know you better if you would let me."

"Ryder."

"I'm not asking you to shun Paxton; I'm only asking that you give me a chance before you completely make up your mind."

"Ryder."

"Because, I really like you Ingrid. I respect your need for independence, but I also see the hurt and pain in your eyes and I want you to know that I would never hurt you, in fact I will work extra hard to ensure that you're never hurt again."

"Ryder!" Ingrid yelled, finally getting his attention. Good gods he could talk. "Shut up." He gave her a confused look mixed with hurt. "I'm trying to tell you yes, but you keep talking," she said with a grin.

A smile slowly spread across his face as understanding dawned, "Really? You don't know how happy you've made me!" he declared, sweeping her up in his arms and spinning her around in a circle.

Ingrid laughed gaily, "Put me down you oaf!"

Chuckling lightly, he set her on her feet and smiled. "Now, I want to warn you: I can be very jealous...so you're going to have to be patient with me. Very patient."

She gave a mock sigh and rolled her eyes, "If I have to."

Ryder's face turned serious as he looked deeply into her blue eyes, "I'll let you get back to your friends," he brushed a stray hair out of her face, "I'm sure you will want to meet the new women." His eyelids lowered heavily over his deep blue eyes as he leaned in to place a soft kiss on her lips, "Until later, Ingrid." He left the room quietly, leaving a stunned Ingrid behind.

She touched a hand to her lips in wonderment. Ryder was unlike any other man she had known. He exuded kindness and safety, not pain and anguish like her past relationships. Maybe giving him a chance wasn't such a bad idea after all.