Territory

I opened the main hall and walked inside dropping my bag on the floor. Indeed it was amazing and like promised there was a landline phone which lay on a small pine table in the corner as you walked in. The main hall was essentially a large room with a pretty big rectangular table in the middle, with chairs around it. It also had two large windows either side, and at the back of the room were two doors, one I guessed was the storage room and the other the kitchen. The main hall also had a map above the smaller table in the corner of the room where the phone was.

I approached the map to realise that it was a map of our territory, and the cabins where right in the centre of it all, the lake was north and an orange line marked out our territory boundaries. Surprise surprise it was a square and it looked like a pretty big piece of land which I was pretty proud of. Next to the map was a large calendar with a pen attached to it. I grabbed the pen and crossed out the days which we had gone past and stopped on the second Monday where I wrote “We have arrived.” I then crossed that day off and smiled.

“This is awesome.” Chris laughed as he joyfully walked around the room.

“Damn right it is.” I laughed as well, I could see why Chris was joyful, and this was simply too amazing not to smile and laugh about, it was like our little slice of paradise.

“Let’s get our stuff in our cabins, then maybe we can eat or something, I'm hungry.”

“Yeah same here.” I replied licking my lips, it did sound like a pretty good idea.

I picked up my bag again and walked out closing the door behind me, I didn’t see the need to lock it, no one else was here and I'm sure no one would want to steal from us and if they did they would need to face a pretty angry wolf.

The main hall was in the middle back of the clearing almost facing the dirt path that led to the clearing itself, and the five cabins were arranged so that three of them were on the right of the cabin (the left as you came in) and two on the left (the right as you come in). The whole clearing looked like a random circle in the middle of the pine forest.

I instinctively took a right as I walked out of the main hall and headed for the block of three, I already had my eyes set on one of the cabins which I wanted.

“Which one do you want?” I asked Chris.

“The middle one.” He replied confidently.

“Good, cos you aren’t having the one on the very end, that one is mine.” I smiled to myself, I had picked mine as we came in, I loved to have first pick, even if it sounded selfish I always did this with everything, only difference is most times I wouldn’t get what I wanted, so I was pretty happy to get my cabin.

I took out the keys from my pocket and took off a key with a tag that said “Cabin 2”.

“I hope this is the right key.” I said as I threw the key to Chris who caught it mid air with his left hand.

“Thanks.” He said as he jogged up to the front door and inserted the key in the lock and turned it.

Thankfully the door opened and he walked in and howled.

“THIS IS AWESOME.” He screamed with a huge smile on his face.  I hadn’t seen him this happy in ages; this new life was defiantly going to be worth it. I howled back for fun and walked over to my cabin.

 “Don’t lose your key ok, keep it safe.” I said as I looked behind me at Chris who was busy looking around his cabin. I took the key that said “Cabin 1” on the tag and opened the door to my own.

“Chris lets meet in the main hall in ten minutes, then we can eat.” I shouted as I walked back out of my cabin quickly to tell him.

“Sure thing.” He said as he leaned out the door and the back in when he finished.