8: Dumb Idea

Stupidity, noun.

1. the state, quality or fact of being stupid.
2. a stupid act, notion, speech, etc.

***

After the last bell rang, Tate walked me to my locker. Even though he walked physically next to me, his mind was elsewhere. As far as I could tell he had moved on from the 'unfortunate misunderstanding' with Kira, as he called it. Because it was just that, an unfortunate misunderstanding. I wondered what had him distracted this badly; maybe he was contemplating extravagant schemes to get out of cleanup duty. Or maybe it was his black eye that bothered him. Whatever it was, I didn't ask and he didn't offer any explanation for his silence - which was nothing new. It was almost like he was brooding.

Then Devin showed up. And lately, whenever Devin showed up, things would go bad. Or from bad to worse, as would prove the case today.

The way Tate's face darkened, kind of with annoyance, kind of with anger, made it obvious he hadn't been entirely oblivious to what was happening around him. Without a word to me, the two walked away. Devin did so with his usual swagger. Tate resembled more a kid stomping away angrily. He didn't even say goodbye. I sighed, packed up my things and decided that I would go home first. There was no point in waiting around for Tate; whenever he disappeared with Devin he would be gone for a while and only pop up again when he was ready. So, home it was. Later tonight I would go and get the takeaway and then head to the station.

Outside, I was surprised to find Tate and Devin. I mean, sure, they had gone toward the exit but I didn't really expect to find them where I did. They were standing in the middle of the parking lot, in the pouring rain like two idiots because, of course, neither had an umbrella. They were still talking. They really were a bunch of idiots; I wasn't sure why but the thought surprised me. I should have gotten used to it by now, one would think. I stood there, sheltered from the rain as I watched them. I wasn't sure why I watched and waited. Maybe because it looked like Tate was about to throw the first punch and a fight would break out. That would be fun to see - until the teachers got involved and Dad would have to come. Then the three of us could get a ride to the station together; the boys in cuffs in the back, and me in the front with a smug grin. The image was quite appealing.

Fortunately - or unfortunately - nothing happened. Devin walked away, leaving the school grounds, and Tate walked back to the school, where he seemed surprised to find me. The feeling was mutual because I did end up waiting for him. Then, the frown disappeared and was replaced by a grin. "What are you doing now?" he asked casually, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his wet jeans. "Heading straight to your dad?"

I arched an eyebrow. "Why? You sound like you are planning to hijack my afternoon. Should I remind you that you have to clean up your brother's mess?"

"I'm trying to procrastinate," he shrugged. "You cannot imagine the mess he made. So please, save me."

"Fine, we can hang out at my place until I go to the station. I hope you like Netflix." He nodded and took my umbrella from me, opening it and offering his arm like a gentleman from the 1950's. Together we walked home under the umbrella. He might not have blamed me for the 'unfortunate misunderstanding', but I was certain, if Kira saw us now, she would so blame me for getting turned down. Like I had anything to do with that; it's not like I told him he could under no circumstances go out with her. That was all him.

I let us in through the kitchen and kicked off my shoes to avoid getting water everywhere before venturing further into the house. Tate looked rather awkward and stood by the door until I made a show of pointing it out. Then he grinned, kicked off his shoes and wandered around the kitchen. After he was done with his inspection of the room, he came to stand next to me with a smirk on his face and shook his head. Droplets of water flew in all directions. Including straight at me. I pushed him away from me, but couldn't help laughing. He laughed too and took a hold of my arm so that I couldn't move away. In the end, I was pretty soaked. So was he. I suppose we were even.