Chapter Twenty-Seven

It's the one you've all been waiting for! Enjoy! 

Kane sat with his hands linked on the table in front of him. He kept his eyes cast down and not at either of the people at his side. Nora sat to his left, her legs pulled up so that her knees rested against the side of the table. Her anger still flowed through the bond, but now it was mixed with confusion. Kane took a quick glance at her and regretted it almost immediately. Her eyes were still red and puffy and she was staring at the wall with a blank look on her face.

Kane glanced to his other side, where Mason sat nervously. He was jumpy, flinching slightly every time the television in the next room made a sudden noise. Kane wanted to reach out to him, to tell him that it was going to be okay, but he didn't know that for sure, so he said nothing. His mother had instructed them to stay here, then Nora had joined them. His mother hadn't returned. It had been at least ten minutes of absolute silence between them. The only noise came from the show Grace was still watching.

Kane wanted to say something, but he didn't know what. His mother had said she had something to tell them. What was it? He didn't know what his parents were going to do. His mother had just found him cheating on his mate, the person he was supposed to be with forever. He had no doubt that his parents were upstairs, right then, talking about what a terrible mate he was.

He rested his head in his hands. His father was going to be so disappointed in him. Kane felt tears forming behind his closed eyes. He tried to push them back. He felt a hand on his back. It was Mason. He lifted his head and smiled a small smile at the boy. Even during all of this, Mason's presence was enough to reassure him.

He was about to reach over and grab his hand, but the thought of Nora seeing it was enough to stop the idea in its tracks.

"Am I getting kicked out of the house?" Nora asked suddenly.

Kane turned to her. "No?"

"Why are we having this family meeting then?" she asked. Nora nodded towards the other end of the table. "And, why exactly is he here?"

Kane sighed. There was no point in lying. "My mother knows about Mason and I."

"Your affair?" Nora spat out.

"Our...." Kane didn't know how to put it, "more than friendship relationship."

"It's not really an affair if you two were just friend mates," Mason spoke up.

"You don't get to decide that," Nora told him.

"You are the one who agreed to just be friends with him," Mason told her, "it's not my fault that you regret your choices now."

"Stop it," Kane said forcefully. "Both of you."

Nora spoke after only a few seconds of silence. "I still don't understand how you two are even able to touch without the bond breaking you apart."

"It doesn't hurt us, it hurts you," Kane admitted.

Nora stared at them with a shocked look on her face. "Last night," she spoke with realisation on her face, "happened because of you?"

Kane nodded. "Yes. I am so sorry, if I had known-"

"Last night was the most pain I have experienced in my entire life," she spat out at them, "and it was all because you couldn't keep it in your pants?"

Kane didn't know what to say. She was right.

"He didn't know," Mason told her. There was a sadness behind Mason's words. "He wouldn't have kissed me if he knew what would happen."