Chapter 10

Bebe Rhexa's 'Knees' makes me want to break up with my non-existent boyfriend. Just saying.

Chapter 10

Dad

"Miss, are you s-sure?" the lady was staring at me stupefied.

I nodded, "Yes, everything."

She picked up my dress from last night, waving it in my face. "This is a Dior gown from the latest collection!"

"Which means?" I asked, not blinking. I didn't really care. It shouldn't qualify as wearable anyway.

The lady squabbled for something to say.

Larry, the stern cab driver as he said his name was, dumped the last bag from my closet in front of the lady's desk with a grunt. He grumbled something beneath his breath before turning to me, "which means the girl thinks you're an idiot, child."

The front desk lady gasped, "N-no! I just meant... these clothes are extremely expensive."

Larry raised an eyebrow, "Are they?" He frowned down at the baggage before turning to me.

I shrugged, "then you could probably sell them then?" Larry and the girl fully faced me, not speaking. "If that's all, I have places to go."

"If you pay me another fifty, I'll take you there." Larry offered.

"W-wait!" the lady ran after us, "at least sign your name for the donations. It's procedure here."

Larry was looking at me through the mirror as he drove through the busy streets of the city.

"Where to?"

"The nearest shopping mall, please."

He continued to stare at me through the mirror, "You're not from around here, are you?"

"Why would you think that?"

"You don't know where you're going," he pointed out. Well, I really didn't. "What are you doing there?"

"Shopping," I said. "I don't have clothes at home."

"You just gave away your clothes."

"I don't like them," I explained.

His eyebrows scrunched up incredulously, "Why buy them in the first place then?"

I smiled, "I honestly don't know."

Finally, Larry parked the cab. I pulled out two hundred dollars from my purse and handed it to him. He took it, and I started to get out of the cab.

"How much clothes do you intend to buy?" Larry asked, getting out of the cab too.

"Enough to fill my side of the closet."

Larry gave me a once over, "You won't be able to carry those by yourself. That's an additional fifty."

I stopped then, watching the glaring old man walk in front of me. I couldn't help but smile, knowing the exact intention beneath the act.

"You're worried about me, aren't you?" I teased.

Larry glanced back at me for a second, "You're quite on the naïve side, child. Has anyone ever told you that?"

When we got to the first store, I knew I was looking for something they didn't have in there. The clothes were pretty, the selection diverse...but no. I spent the first hour, coming in and out of stores. I must have roamed the first two floors and by then, Larry was cursing continuously.