Chapter 12 ~ The Metal Copy

I need to get up. I must get up. I kept telling myself this, trying to create a spark of motivation. None ever came, I just wanted sleep, my eyelids were too heavy to open. I didn't want to see anything other than darkness. The second I wake up. I will be back in reality. War, murder, questions without answers.

   "Rookie?" a voice called. An echo. I couldn't make out who it belonged to. Why were they looking for me?

   I attempted to lift myself up, eyes still closed. My arms quavered from exhaustion, then I fell back onto my stomach. I let out a grunt of pain. My abdomen being where most of the pain laid.

   Infinite had hurt me bad. I was now starting to feel this. When he continuously threw me around the room, my cracked rib got worse. Especially when he kicked me to the ground.

   I shifted myself to lay on my left side, no cracked bones. The ache barely went away. I winced, still crushing the Ruby in my fist to let out some of the agony. This pain wasn't the worst I've felt, if anything, I've become slightly immune to pain, stoic, I suppose. But that only sears into my brain how badly Infinite beat me.

   "Rookie?!" the voice calls again, more urgent. It was a soft voice, unlike Shadow's, Knuckles, or Vectors. But not high enough to be Charmy's. Amy doesn't go into the field, so she's not an option. Only a few options remained.

   Sonic has never called me "rookie" before.

   "Hey! Are you alright?!" They were right beside me now. Gently shaking my shoulder. Their voice was clear now.

   My eyes just barely open. Silver's face was close to mine, worry clear in his eyes. I tried to get up again, but Silvers grabs my arm to lift me to my feet. Was I really that light? My legs fail me, but Silver was still holding me, he kept me from falling.

   "Woah there. Don't move," he tells me calmly.

   "Don't move"? We must leave Metropolis! Some part of my brain manages to function unlike the rest of me.

   My eyes were getting heavy again. I quickly shoved the Ruby in my pocket, hoping Silver didn't notice.

   "You saved my life. It's my turn to help you, now," Silver comforts.

   Slowly, my feet left the ground, it felt as though I had no body weight. A slight tingling covered my body, like when you become numb. I was scared for a short moment. Silver still holds my arm, he was covered in the same blue, glowing light when he was recovering from surgery. His telepathy. Only now, I too, was covered in the light.

   Though I was skeptical, I felt as though I could trust Silver, not like I had any choice in the state I'm in. I quickly glance at forearm as my eyes began to close.

   Seven thirty. The attack on Metropolis began at six, every moment of the day counted. We were going to regroup at six thirty. I fought Infinite for almost twenty. So, I was unconscious for almost forty minutes. Someone or something could have easily killed me in that time.

   My lids flickered shut, Infinite creeping back into my head. He knew who I was. Only Knuckles knew my name. That means Infinite knew me back when I could talk, which was too long ago. The further I go back into my childhood, the fewer memories I remember. I never truly had any friends until Gamma squad. I think so anyway.

   Did Infinite find out from Robotnik? He never referred to me as my own name, so that didn't seem that plausible. So, where did Infinite get that name? I needed to find out.