chapter 27

Mom and dad came for me at noon, I couldn't leave the hospital until my legal guardian came for me. Peyton could have signed me out, but mom said she wanted to come. I didn't mind at all, I spent all of that time with Royal and Peyton. And even though I don't like to admit it, it felt like we were superman and Batman again.

When I got home my mom was still staring at my face like I had two heads, I thought they would come in screaming at me, but they didn't, they just picked me up and brought me home.

I had to go back in two weeks to see how my nose was doing.

Just as me and Peyton were walking to my room, my dad calls me and I stop, already feeling a shiver in my body. I turn around to look at him. He was almost red.

"What were you thinking!" He screams.

"Jaxon," my mom says from behind him. But my dad ignore her.

"Why did you just take of! We almost called the cops because of you!" I stand still just hearing him say everything. "Why are you such an idiot! Don't you understand that you can't just run around at night, look what happened to you. And your lucky it was just a broken nose, someone could have killed you!" He walks up to me and pushes me back. I almost feel back, but Peyton was right behind me and stopped me.

"Don't push him!" My mom screams out. This was new, dad was violent but never hit or pushed anyone, and my mom never stood up for me. What was going on?

"You stay out of this! It's time this guy learns a lesson, always going around with that stupid sad face on. I had it with you!"

Peyton steps in front of me, I was to shock to do anything or say anything. "Dad stop, look at him, he already learned his lesson." He points to my face.

"He'll just go do it again! He doesn't care about anything! He just brings more problems, always more problems and I can't take him anymore!"

Just in that I wanted to tell him that his wrong, I care about things. I do really, and I don't know why, months ago I would have agreed with him, but not now.

In 2 seconds I make a mental list of what I care about.

Books.

The park.

Brownies.

The bus to the hospital.

Beatrice.

Superman and Batman.

Spaghetti.

Purple flowers.

Chocolate.

Royal.

I stop myself with Royal.

He sighs hard. "And visiting that girl." My eyes widened. "That's where you go on the weekends, to a hospital to see some girl that's dyeing! What's wrong with you!"

I glare at him. "What's wrong with tha-" I start but get stopped by Peyton. He put his hands on my chest and shhed me like I was about to get killed if I talked.

My dad rolls his eyes. "You can't be defending him! He hates you, don't you see it, he's always saying how you get everything, and he gets nothing." My dad yells in Peyton face.

"He says it, but when do we really mean what we say?" He asks in a loud voice without screaming.

I take a second to think about his words until dad took steps back and started walking in circles. We all stay quiet until he speaks.

"Get him out of here." He breaths between his teeth. In that Peyton pushes me into the room and close the door behind us, he pushes me on the bed and puts his finger between his lips until he hears nose outside. Leading his ear on the door he waits for what seems hours until he looks at me.