Chapter Eight

Word Count: 1628

~Rosie

I sat in my room for the rest of the day, stubborn.

Night passed by exceptionally slowly, as my body refused to allow me sleep. Or my mind, rather, since I can't stop running through each and every word Time has said to me since he took me to this place. It's important for me to understand him, to find out this weakness I was previously warned about. Then I might be able to escape.

Naturally, my mind considered what it would be like to love him. I'm not too upset about not having a mate, since I never have truly craved one. I've always preferred my family over a lover, since fate can sometimes be cruel. Being mated to him is evidence of that enough.

It won't be easy though, admittedly, to ignore the flutter in my stomach when I see him. I'm assuming that's just a symptom of this bond between us.

If I could get rid of it, I would.

As the morning light glimmers through my window and my stomach starts to growl, I decide I need to come out of my room to face this issue. Time hasn't bothered me, thankfully. I'm sure he is still bristling after I stormed up to my room and slammed my door after he tried to tell me how badly he wants me. Little does he know, I don't care.

Slipping out the bedroom door, I still wear yesterday's clothes. I checked the dresser and there were plenty of feminine clothing items in there, which I refuse to wear. My clothing is the last hint of my old life that I have, and I'm not about to let go of that.

Through the hallway, drifts the sound of music. It startles for me for a moment, as I stand still, listening hard to the notes that pierce the silence that usually plagues this place.

Surprisingly, the music if beautiful.

Blindly, I follow the sound, letting it increase in my ears the closer I get. I'm not sure if Time is the source of the music. If so, he does have a wonderful taste, as the notes almost feel as if they are lifting me up off the ground. No one sings, it's just a simple flow of instruments that I've never heard before.

It leads me to another set of stairs I hadn't noticed. They sweep up to the next floor as I step up them, the music getting louder with each step. Finally, I come to a closed door, that isolates the sound. It must be in here.

Looking over my shoulder, I check to see Time isn't watching. For whatever reason, this music has drawn me in, luring me here without my consent.

The door, however, is locked.

The door handle jiggles within my hands, but it refuses to open. Having it not open almost seems to jerk me back into reality. I'm not sure what inspired me to follow the sound, but it's so beautiful, leaving me with no other choice. Knocking promptly on the door, I wait to see if anyone will answer. I'm hoping I'm not truly alone here.

I flinch, as the door creaks open. It's only slightly, as Time ducks around, looking at me. It seems I've taken him off guard, as he refuses to step fully out of the door. The music suddenly cuts short, a jarring silence following.

"Do you need help?" he asks, still not stepping out with me into the hallway. His hair looks dishevelled, a smear of something bright red is on his cheek.

What if that's blood?

"I'm hungry," I say. It's not wrong, and it's an excuse for trying to find him. I'm assuming he resides in this wing of the household. It's rather bare with its furnishings, other than a the odd painting strung on the wall. It's always of the night sky, the stars and the moon. I'm curious about his interest in the darkness, but maybe it's fairly self explanatory.