Chapter 12

That night after getting ready to leave for the play, I meet the boys on the stairs. When all of us are there, we all walk down the hall to leave, but suddenly Cameron stops and stares. Both me and the other boys notice what's going on and stop as well. 'Chris', Know says quietly. I hear Charlie softly whistling at Chris standing by the door. Knox leaves the other boys to join her, 'What are you doing here?' I hear him ask before my dad calls us from outside: 'Everyone, let's go!'

'Go ahead, guys', Knox says, 'I'll catch up.'

'Yeah, come on, guys', Charlie hustles the boys away and I follow them outside. As we all make our way into the car, my dad calls out to Knox who'd walked outside with Chris: 'Will you be joining us, Mr. Overstreet?'

'Go ahead, Captain', Knox calls back, 'I'll walk.'

The audience in the theater is packed. The stage is set up to resemble a forest and lights dance about it. From behind a bush, Neil emerges, wearing a crown of twigs and berries and twigs on his hands. In the audience, Charlie, who's sitting next to me, emerges from his seat, all excited. 'Hey, there he is! Hey, hey.' Cameron, who's sitting on the other side of him, shoves him back into his seat.

'Shh, boys', My dad shushes them.

On stage, Neil hides behind a tree as a girl emerges, similarly clad, but with flowers in her hair. Neil sneaks over to the girl.

'Either I mistake your shape and making quite, Or else you are that shrewd and knavish sprite Call'd Robin Goodfellow:'

'Thou speak'st aright;' Neil speaks, 'I am that merry wanderer of the night. I jest to Oberon and make him smile When I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile', Puck makes horse sounds and the audience laughs, 'Neighing in likeness of a filly foal: And sometime lurk I in a gossip's bowl, In very likeness of a roasted crab, And when she drinks, against her lips I bob And on her wither'd dewlap pour the ale. The wisest aunt, telling the saddest tale',

Next to me, I hear Charlie whispering: 'He's good. He's really good.'

'Sometime for three-foot stool mistaketh me; Then slip I from her bum, down topples she, And "tailor" cries, and falls into a cough; And then the whole quire hold their hips and laugh, And waxen in their mirth and neeze and swear A merrier hour was never wasted there. But, room, Fairy! here comes Oberon.'

'And here my mistress', the girl answers, 'Would that he were gone!'

The two hide behind the trees, lifting their twig covered hands to hide themselves.

Two other actors are onstage.

'Then by your side no bed-room me deny; For lying so, Hermia, I do not lie'

'Lysander riddles very prettily: Now much beshrew my manners and my pride, If Hermia meant to say Lysander lied. But, gentle friend, for love and courtesy Lie further off; in human modesty, Such separation as may well be said Becomes a virtuous bachelor and a maid, and, good night, sweet friend: Thy love ne'er alter till thy sweet life end!'

I can see Neil backstage, peeking at the actors from the wing. Then his smile vanishes when I see him glancing out at the back of the audience. I follow his gaze and turn to see his father enter the back of the theater. When I turn but, Neil backs away into the shadows.

'Amen, amen, to that fair prayer, say I;'

On stage, Neil collects dew in a leaf and holds it over his head while fairies dance about.

Then the stage turns dark. A spotlight comes on to reveal Neil with his back to the audience. He slowly turns around to face the audience and his father.